Stupid computer, my ? got posted w/ out all the details so repost to Would You Let Your MIL Buy Your Hubby A Car

Currently my hubby is driving a 97 Accord w/ no ac. His mom says she wants to buy him a car for his birthday. There have been issues in the past w/ mom saying she wants to buy things for us & then not following thru (she did this w/ dd's crib so I'm leery about the whole thing). He found a 09 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart for $21,000 (includes taxes & such, this is the drive off price). Her credit was denied bc she financed an $80,000 BMW for sheisty BIL (really long story & whole other post). Hubby's credit was approved. MIL says she will make $300 a mo car payment. MIL works for FIL & also collects Social Security. FIL is a dentist & can more than afford to pay cash for the car but he wants nothing to do w/ financially helping his son (last xmas both sisters received significant checks & hubby got none, their relationship has always been strained). Any other details you want? Would you accept this car?

Nyx7

Asked by Nyx7 at 8:10 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• I understand how you feel it was the oppsite for me..Well i moved out when i was 16 my parentsdid not help me i had to go at it alone.. I had 10 brothers the got all the help. If it was me i would have to say do it yourself she was denied and who knows if she would make the payments.. I know and learned the hard way but i did it all on my own.. I respect my parents but no matter what they can not say what they had to do for me. I have a masters in business,own 2 businesses, married 23 years and have 2 amazing daughters.. 18 & 20 both college students , i never had a baby shower and my parents purchased nothing for my girls., But my 25 nephews they could get anything they wanted . I say this to you because imo no matter how bad he wants it i would do it on my own and leave my parent out of it .
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 8:37 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Now I would have to say go with you gut instinct. If you hinestly think you MIL will make the payments then go for it. If you dont think she will then I wouldnt because It can really mess up your credit.
    my2loves0607

Answer by my2loves0607 at 8:14 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• not if your hubby can't continue making the car payments himself. it sounds like the deal could go south at any time. if you can afford the car in your budget, leave your MIL out of it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:14 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• no, we are adults and dont eexpect anyone to do anything for us. with that said once i read the part that said "there were issues in the past when she didnt come through" that was the deal breaker for me.
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 8:45 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• If we knew ahead of time the car payment was our responsibility then yes we can make a few simple changes-like not eating out-& afford the payment. We plan to plan on making the payment so if she doesn't do it we don't get screwed. She's just really insistent that she wants to do this for him. Part of me says no but part of me knows the $$$ is coming from his father & his dad never helped him out while lavishing his 2 sisters w/ cars & condos & tuition & rent. Hubby's always had to do it alone. I guess I feel like his dad owes him this car????? IDK, I'm so conflicted!
    Nyx7

Comment by Nyx7 (original poster) at 8:18 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• don't be conflicted..forget the emotion behind it, and recognize the need. you/dh CAN pick up the slack when she fails, so take it. no harm, no foul.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:20 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Agree with Dullscissors,
    Why not write up a contract or something? so you have it in writing, Im sure if she were to fall back she wouldnt tell you guys right away which could affect his credit.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 8:25 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• also, whats wrong with getting the ac fixed in the car?
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 8:47 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Getting the ac fixed will cost $1500 @ the cheapest, the engine's starting to make funny sounds, putting any kind of significant $$$$ into this car is like flushing cash @ this point. We've been driving it into the ground for a while now & the ac hasn't worked right since I bought the car. I drove it for 3 summers w/ no ac & I should mention we live in Florida.
    Nyx7

Comment by Nyx7 (original poster) at 8:53 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• oh wow that sucks, idk op, if fyall can afford a new car on your own do it without involving his mother. you know how things can go bad fast when people feel like they own you since they helped you out
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 8:59 AM on Aug. 18, 2010