If you were going to jail, what would you tell your kids?

BM may be incarcerated at the end of this month. What would you, as a BM, want the kids to know? They are 5 and 3.

mrsbrown1

Asked by mrsbrown1 at 8:42 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well the reason why I would go to jail is if I killed someone and that would be from protecting myself or my kids. So with that said I would tell them that I did it to protect them, that I love them very much but mommy is going away for a while. Considering it was self defense I'm sure I wouldn't be in jail for very long. Maybe. :S
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:47 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• How long's she going for? If its just a bit I'd lie & tell them I was going to see someone out of town. If its gonna be for a while & she's going to miss events the kids will remember then I'd tell them that she had done something bad & had to go to time out for a very long time & wouldn't be seeing them for a while. Try to phrase it in ways they comprehend. They don't know about jail or sentances or even next week in reference to time understanding.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:47 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would probobly tell them at there level to where they will understand I wouldn't lie cause then they would learn not to trust you.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:49 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• oh ya but should I mention it wont happen my kids are every thing to me. I haven't ever been to jail and don't ever plan too.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:50 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I had to tell my kids that their bio-dad was in prison. I just told them that he did something he shouldn't have and the judge made him go to prison. I kept it simple. He is in for sexual assault and at their age at the time I wasn't getting into that.

I would keep it simple and as honest as you can for the age of the kids.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:52 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i went over night once and i told my son that my car broke down and they gave me a ride there =) i know..bad mommy. If it was longer then that i would probably have some explaining to do depending on the age of the children..if they were younger then i would try to tell them i have to do some traveling for work.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:56 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• If I'm going to jail it would be because I was protecting my children. I'd tell them that I love them and I'll be with them as soon as I can. That they'd be safe and with people who love them very much. I would write them and call everyday. And I will never stop thinking of them.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 9:00 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I'd give them age appropiate answers that they can understand. Explain it's sort of like a time out, but for adults when they do something wrong. I'd say as little as possible at their age, but you don't want them to hear by way of rumors. Good luck with the little guys.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:03 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would tell them Im going to jail and the reason why. I am always honest with my kids because when they are older I want to be able to have that bond where they feel they can be honest with me also.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 9:38 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I wouldn't do anything to go to jail.. but their Dad is in jail now for 3 months.. Everyone just tells them he is at work.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:40 AM on Aug. 18, 2010