when can i give my 6 week old cereal? and how do i do so? it's like he's never full!

he eats both breast milk and formula and acts as if he is never full.. he will eat off both breasts and then turn around and eat either breast milk or formula almost 4 oz out of a bottle.. and this goes on all day.. some people have mentioned giving him some cereal but i am unsure about this and how to go about it.. do i make it liquidy enough to put in his bottle or feed him with a spoon? i just don't know.

Keri77

Asked by Keri77 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was the same exact way. He just loves to eat. I felt like I was always feeding him. Felt like a walking bottle lol. I suffered through all that and started giving him strickly formula around 6 weeks. I just started giving him cereal and he will be 4 months on the 9. They say not to give it to them till 4 months and if they are able to sit up supported, hold their head up, if they pay attention to your food when eating, and something else. well he isn't 4 months but he is getting cereal. I have been told by everyone that by putting it in their bottle it will make them fat. I had a friend that did that and her lil girl was really big. Their digestive system is not developed well enough at that age.
    AmandaKay0515

Answer by AmandaKay0515 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• putting ceral in there bottle doesnt make them fat. over feeding them does. If you make him a 4 or 6 ounce bottle, start off by putting a tablespoon in the bottle and shake it up really good. And after a few of those bottles and he does alright, then increase to two tablespoons. Dont do it with every bottle, just like the nighttime bottle and one during the day. It wont make him fat it will just help to keep him full a little longer. I had to put ceral in my sons bottles since he was a month old. And he is perfectly happy and right on track. good luck
    Anonymous

• are you sure he's hungry or does he just need to suck on something? if i let her, my daughter would try to nurse all day, but when i hear that she's done sucking and she still seems to need to suck, i give her a pacifier... if she really is hungry, she won't be content with that... she's 3.5 months now and its working for us... as for starting cereal, talk to your pediatrician about that... they usually don't recommend giving them solids until 4-6 months... we won't start my daughter on food until she's closer to 6 months because my husband and i have many allergies... the baby also needs to be developmentally ready to take in solids...
    Anonymous

• Putting cereal in bottles causes them to over eat making babies fat. I would talk to your Dr b4 you do anything.

http://www.drgreene.com/21_861.html please read
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• in my area EVERY professional is very against cereal before 4 months of age. Is he able to suck enough from your breasts? My son didnt have a strong enough suck to ever be satisfied. Consider pumping one day and only giving him a bottle and see how much he takes in. If its the same amount as just the bottles you give him during the day my guess is he isnt getting what he needs from you. If it is a lot more than I would chalk it up to a growth spurt and try to ride it out. Also see if a pacifier makes a difference. I start with the nuk and if baby is still unsettled THEN I give the bottle
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:14 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• my doc told me that i could feed her ceral as soon as she would open her mouth and take it. he said to start out with the single grain rice and only feed her a teaspoon or 2 a day before she fell asleep. but not to add it to a bottle.
    adoramydear

Answer by adoramydear at 2:47 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• LOL I'm such a bad mommy! I totally put rice in Bella's bottles. Started doing it when she was around 3 1/2 - 4 mths. She was just always so hungry! And it so helped her to start sleeping thru the night and weaning from that midnight feeding. It was sooooo nice when she went from needing to eat every 2 hrs, to every 4, then she could go 6 hrs at night, and now she goes 12 hrs straight at nighttime! Yay!
    I do agree with the other posters, tho. I think 6wks is too young for their digestive systems to handle it.
    j9gem

Answer by j9gem at 7:47 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• cereal is fine and it wont make your baby fat...my brother and I were started on cereal at 4 weeks and are we fat? NOPE. If you want to give it in the bottle just make sure you mix it extremely well and use a bigger sized nipple hole. Plus what the heck kind of allergies can babies get from rice cereal? what are they going to be allergic to rice?? LOL
    Anonymous