I've tried the gum, the patch & electronic cigs- nothing works!

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:08 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Health

• If you want to quit, you will

Answer by rkoloms at 9:42 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Nothing's going to do it for you, or really make it easy, you just need to invest in some good old fashioned hard will power if you truly want to quit. I quit cold turkey when I got pregnant, and my dh quite cold turkey too a while after I did, and it was hard, I still have some cravings today and it's been over 2 years, we both do, but it's so much better in every way being a non-smoker. Some days I miss it, but the benefits of not being a smoker far outweigh the little good it gave me.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:11 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• The patch worked wonders for me, I guess everyone is different. Have you tried the medication? Can't remember what it's called.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:11 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Go to your doctor. You may need to take something like wellbutrin or chantix to get over the hump.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:11 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Check into chantix. It can have some side effects that aren't a lot of fun, but not everyone gets them, and everyone I know that's tried it had success with it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:13 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I actually quit for 8 months taking chantix but I had to quit taking it because I became very moody, I could not stand to be around myself and I had been going through some very stressful times and ended up picking up the habit again, boy i could really kick myself but I am planning on quitting again and I have my quit date and I am just going to do it cold turkey this time. Even when I was on the Chantix I wanted one more than ever so I just think everyone is different and you just gotta want to really do it, and I know its hard! Best of luck to you:D
    blueangel0205

Answer by blueangel0205 at 9:26 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I stopped cold turkey when my Mother who smoked had to go in for carotid artery surgery. They said there was a small blockage in her neck (attributed to smoking). They ended up cutting her from her ear to the bottom of her neck by her wind pipe. The blockage was much worse than they thought. They had to use paddles to revive her. She had staples like Frankenstein all the way down her neck. She survived and is in great health today. She no longer smokes. After I saw what smoking did to her, I stopped, they actually made me sick after that. If you can't visit a Hospital or Hospice for people with cancer from smoking, then look on the Internet, just google smoking cancer photos. That should be a reality check for you. It is the single most important thing you can do to improve your quality of life. You may also develop emphysema from smoking, my sister did and she is young.Good Luck

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:32 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Try Chantix. I know a few ppl that have successfully quit with it. My Dr. told me its 50/50.
    my2loves0607

Answer by my2loves0607 at 9:34 AM on Aug. 18, 2010