should grandparents care for infant while mom is suffering with ppd? She's a good mom &has 3 kids & this is the first time with ppd. We want to help-not prolong the ppd.

concernednan667

Asked by concernednan667 at 9:14 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Health

• Well, this would be impossible if she was breastfeeding, but I suppose if she's FF then I would ask if she wanted us to take "the kids" off her hand for a bit. I wouldn't push taking the infant unless she trusted and wanted me to take it. But taking the other two children might help her relax more and get more sleep.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 9:16 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• of course they should! anyone who recognizes ppd should help out, and attempt to get the mother a bit of help. there are avenues she can take (medically, counseling, etc) to get past this issue.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:18 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Yes they should offer to help. If it is PPD then the mom should be under a doctor's care for this.

Answer by Bmat at 9:22 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You should offer to help however you can, whether it's taking all kids, some kids, or even just coming over for a couple hours to let her nap while you mind the baby. Tell her that you're happy to do it, so she gets a break.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:22 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I agree with MomtoElliett... offer to take the older kids for a couple hours
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:29 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Any help that is needed should be given....
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:42 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Any help would be the best. I would sit down with her and see what she needs. Even just a few hours a day just to herself may help. Good luck!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:56 PM on Aug. 18, 2010