Preschooler on the bus

My daughter who is 4 will be starting preschool this year. I am undecided if I should let her ride the bus. She will get on the bus right in front of my house and I have to be with her at pickup and drop off. She says she wants to ride the bus and it would be a lot easier than driving her everyday (the school is only 5 minutes away but she has a baby brother I would have to take with me). I don't really know what I am afraid of. What should I do? Whould you let your 4 y/o ride the bus to school?

bbchic

Asked by bbchic at 9:18 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wouldn't. The buses here have lots of kids of various ages & my dd doesn't need to learn some of the words I've heard coming from them.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:20 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• do they have bus monitors (adults that ride along to help keep order so the driver can concentrate on the road)?
    If not I'd make that suggestion to the BOE... maybe get together a group of parents who are willing to take turns volunteering.
    I'd say it really depends on the bus, how many older kids are going to be on it, does the school have a good system for getting the kids on the correct bus, etc...
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:21 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I did. She started school at 3 and rode the bus. I just made sure she understood the bus rules. And it was easier on her not to have to tell me bye at class. Anytime I dropped her off she cried but when I put her on the bus it was just "bye mom!" and gone. I say let her, she'll be fine. :-) Besides, you can always follow it to school the first day!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:23 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• No, I wouldn't. 4 is too young to be riding unsupervised on a bus with older children.

Answer by Bmat at 9:23 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• If she wants to ride the bus, let her. See how it goes for the first week and ask her about it. My older boy has been riding since he was 5. He loves it. My other son who is 5 now will be riding the bus. He can't wait. They also get picked up and dropped off in front of our home.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:24 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• No, I would drive her. Is it really going to kill you to take her baby brother? These are the times you should cherish because she won't be this young for long. She will get to ride the bus plenty when she is older, lol... and will HATE it! :)

I take my newborn son with me when I take his sisters to school and I enjoy getting to drop them off and such. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:25 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I was in the same situation with a younger child and not wanting to get him in and out of the car to take my daughter to preschool everyday. The bus stopped everyday in front of the house to pick her up. Shes 6 now but when she was 4 she did ride the bus to preschool. It didnt bother me because she was not the shy type or the type to allow someone to bully her so i was not worried. On the other hand i have a 4 year old son now who is in preschool and I do not allow him to ride the bus because he is more of the shy type and with that being at risk for being bullied. so every morning and afternoon i suck it up and take my 2 year old with me to get him from school..
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 9:26 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would drive her. Where I live if a child is under the age of five, so not in kindergarten, bus transportation is not provided even if the schools have preschool.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:27 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would let her ride the first day, but at any hint from her that she doesn't want to anymore... I would take her off it and drive her. The bus was the most exciting thing for me when starting school. My mom asked me if I wanted to ride the bus or be driven (the first day of school was the only day she would ever drive anyone to school) and my older siblings were mad when I said I wanted to ride the bus. My mom had to meet me at the school for the first day, so she was there when I got off the bus and took me to my class.. lol
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 9:35 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My son has taken the bus alone to school ever since he was 4. They have an aide on it to keep everyone in line. He loves the bus!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 18, 2010