How did you decide your belief system? On what do you place your faith?

I am curious how each person decides what they believe, especially those with eclectic beliefs. I did go through a phase many years ago where I thought about what made sense and sounded good to me, and decided that is what I believed. Now, after prayer and study, my faith is based in the Bible and guided by Church teachings.

Please everyone, let's allow each other to share without fear of getting bashed. Everyone is welcome to post and I hope that this won't be one of those posts that gets ugly.

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 9:38 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was initially raised on my beliefs. Then I starting to challenge them for logic. Then I studied other religions and found many similarities, and then I realized that the beliefs I was raised on made the most sense in terms of the way life should be led and why the world is the way it is. So now, I'm a devout Christian.
    NewHope2010

Answer by NewHope2010 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• skepticism, logic, rationality, reasonable proof
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:41 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My belief is based on logic and reason. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:50 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My brain is hard-wired to acept things with data, facts, sound reasoning and a progressive line of logic. If it doesn't follow this it is approached skeptically or dismissed altogether. That's just the way my brain is wired. I'm more of a "logical" thinker than an "abstract" thinker. Really it's a left-brain/right-brain thing. I utilize the left slightly more than the right and while I can train myself to use the right side more, naturally I use the left.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Honestly I think your beliefs starts during childhood. Its pretty much set in what your parents believe in and it follows you into adulthood.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 9:41 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I was raised in a Chrisitan faith & always felt like I was being lied to, not that something was missing but straight out lied to so I started reading different books & talking to those of different faiths. I knew I'd found my path when it felt right in my soul. Spirituality is what we should be focused on not which prophet said what. Man made religion, whatever you want to call god made spirituality.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:42 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I just listen to my heart... I followed that "little voice" inside and went with what came. I've studied many religious paths and have yet to find one which fit me 100%, which is why I'm Eclectic. I believe that Religion is Man Made, and none of them can have all the points in order, so I prefer to simply focus on my relationship with my Gods. My beliefs vary from those of many other Pagans, but that's okay. It's all a part of being eclectic...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• like a pp, it has simply(ha! or not, at times!) been a matter of uncovering what has always been in my heart. i am a visual artist and so everything i think and feel translates into images in my head. i say that to say this: my spirituality feels like a gold cord, similar to a harp string, that runs through the center of my being from the top of my head to my toes,( and beyond both, incidentally.) and when i am following my Path, Spirit plucks that cord and it sings and glows bright. And by that Light and Song i try to lead my life. i am not always successful as my ego tends to interfere causing dis-cord and it is a struggle to get back to the Song, but i keep trying. Hmmm. i did not intend to sound so cheesy and metaphorical with my answer:) i am a Pagan Witch, btw.
    angelenia

Answer by angelenia at 1:29 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My belief system is what feels right in my heart. I am a Christian. To me, that has always just felt right. I have studied several different other beliefs, but to me, Christianity has always just felt right.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:46 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I was raised in Church but never really understood. It was until about ten years ago that God opened my eyes. I believe whayt the Bible teaches and my faith in God gets me through the days.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 10:25 AM on Aug. 18, 2010