Does she really have a right to be mad at me ?

My friend is having my babysit her 3 boys while she had a mommys night out ( I kept them overnight) ... The oldest is 4 and was acting very badly ( kicking the dog, throwing things, screaming, and pushing my 1 year old down) ... so I said " You better stop or you are going to get a spanking" ... I wasnt actually planning on spanking him because, although I do believe that it works, i wouldnt do it to someone else child.... My friend DOES spank him and whenever she visits and he is acting up she uses the same threat. I didnt think anything was wrong with saying it ... and it worked because he was very good after that. When she picked them up and i was telling her about the night I said " well he was kind of acting up so I told him he was going to get spanked and I am glad he didnt know I was bluffing ( with a little laugh) " ... she got mad and said only she can say that to him as she jerked him away and left....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• She overreacted!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:49 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• sounds like you needed clear guidelines of acceptable discipline before she went out
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:49 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Nooo she has no right to be mad at you...I wish i did have one friend that would babysit overnight while i have some time to myself...you are a great friend in my opinion.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I don't think so. I mean you said you were bluffing, and it's not like you did it.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• She sounds immature. I think most moms feel they are the only one who can spank their child but she should know you well enough that you werent really going to do it. I would just let it go...she will probably get over it. It would be a whole different story if you did spank him but you didnt! She doesnt sound like a very good friend.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:51 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• She completely overreacted. I would give her time to cool down and try to discuss the situation rationally.
    TurboMom81

Answer by TurboMom81 at 9:51 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• looks like you won't have to babysit that ill-behaved child again. :))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:52 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• no she has no reason to!
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 9:53 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• She sounds very immature and I wouldn't watch her kids anymore. You used the same threat she has, unless she has told you specifically that she didn't want you saying that you assumed it was the right thing to do. I would have as well. She has no business being upset with you, she should be apologizing because her son was being bad.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:54 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Few people can graciously accept a clear reflection of themselves that hasn't been edited and cleaned up by their preferred view of themselves.

All you did was demonstrate her behaviour back to her, and her reaction very clearly indicates exactly what she really thinks of it. I'm not surprised she's mad about it... but it's not very mature.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:56 AM on Aug. 18, 2010