Potty Training and the 2 1/2 year old

So my daughter will be three in January and she still will not go on the potty. I put her in underpants and she still wets herself without batting an eye. She doesn't care if she's poppy or soaking wet. I'm a bit frustrated and know then when it happens it happens but is there anything I can do to speed up the process. I've tried songs and praising, treats and super happy clapping dances when she does go all of which she finds amusing but with no luck. She just absolutely refuses to tell me when she has to go. It has been about three months of putting her on the potty every couple hours...sometimes she goes just fine and other time she throws a tantrum. Please help!

jencholie4

Asked by jencholie4 at 9:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How long have you tried the undies? I did all my boys by just putting them in underwear. I put them on the potty every thirty minutes or so. My oldest, trained at 26 months and was completely accident free in six days. My middle boy was also 26 months old. He took about two weeks to get pee down and wet himself completely for the first three days. My youngest was 23 months old and he was a breeze. He just sort of trained himself. Good luck.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I'm just starting down this road myself. I thinking of trying what Mimomof3boys suggests - just putting her in undies and taking her to the potty every 30 minutes or so. Since my little one doesn't like to sit on her potty unless it's her idea, I figure I'll bribe her to start with - an M&M for "trying", 2 for actually making a deposit.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Sounds similar to my house. We're using a sticker chart and songs. We did books. I'm also prompting my daughter to tell me she has to use the potty, so I tell her, "Say, Mommy I need to use the potty." so she'll say it (sometimes) and I'll say, "OK! Let's go! Quick quick!" That way she has a model of what to say and the positive practice of saying it. Otherwise, she hardly tells us when she has to go, and she doesn't care if she's wet or poopy either! She'll stand there and say, "I'm peeing." or "I did poops in my undies" UGH! It's also been 3 mos. of this.
    It sounds like you're on the right track w/ what you've already tried. Stick with it cuz you might find that what didn't motivate her last week will this week.
    good luck!
    BethelMum

Answer by BethelMum at 10:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Take you little girl to the store and let her pick out some undies that she likes. make a big thing out of it so she think yall are doing something really great. then when yall get home tell her if she wants to keep them she has to go to the potty like a big girl... this is what worked with my little girl who is 2 1/2 years old and has been going to the potty for 3 months now.. Good Luck !!
    britt2482

Answer by britt2482 at 10:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2008