how do you clean your kids ears out?

I know its gross but my daughters ears get so nasty with was...she takes after me i have to clean my ears every day! but i am afraid to use a q-tip on them because i dont know when to stop on her like with me i can feel it to stop. I have tried the baby ones that dont let you go in far but they come out clean then when i look in her ear with the ear thing that looks for ear infections her ears are so full of wax i cant see! how do you get it out? im about to take her to the dr for him to do it!

babymaddy

Asked by babymaddy at 9:59 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was the same way, he is now 6 and it does not build up as much. I used a q-tip.

Just around the rim, remember there must be a little wax in the ears, but not where you can see it. I did it daily until last year, every night after the tub, I cleaned the rims of his ear canal... He love it, now he ask me too do it... If he is having problems hearing they might recommend a wax cleaner, then I would see the peditrician just to be safe.

What us moms go through!!! LOL< :) Good luck
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:02 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• never put anything smaller than your elbow into your ear...or anyone else's ear!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:00 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Lay back in a bathtub and let the water fill the ears, let soak for a couple of minutes and then sit up and forward to allow them to drain.

Alternatively you can drip a small amount (less than 1/4 tsp) of slightly warmed olive oil into ears and allow it to dribble out slowly.

Mineral oil is a petroleum product, and doesn't belong in ears (or any other orifice)...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:12 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• get the tip of your finger wet with mineral oil and rub the inside of her ear (the opening of the canal). The mineral oil will cause the ear wax to build up and fall out. My son also use to have lots of ear wax, but after trying this his ears are super clean all the time.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• what happy2bmom25 said. I used a q tip in my daughters ear one time and it irritated her ear canal to the point of bleeding. Not her ear drum but her canal. I freaked and rushed to urgent care because I thought I had hurt her (she did nt cry) but the nurse who saw us said Nothing smaller than an elbow into anyones ears ever.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 10:07 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i know they say that, but trust me if i didnt do that you would see wax pouring out of my ears and hers are the same way, but thats why i wont use reg ones in her ear because i cant see or feel when to stop. she is 2 and i know wouldnt sit still long enough for the wax candle...not to mention i havent tried it on myself yet either!
    babymaddy

Comment by babymaddy (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Then you use a washcloth and wipe the outside. Never put anything in there just because you want the wax out. It's dangerous, why risk it. Just wipe out what you can see.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:36 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Just use a washcloth to wash daily but don't put anything inside
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 11:18 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i dont do it the doc does it here when we go in once a month
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 7:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010