Has anyone ever worked with Project Cuddle?

I'm curious if anyone has ever adopted a baby through them, received help from them in placing a baby, or is signed up as a resource family.

Before we had kids we were signed up as a resource family and I was helping them gather statistics on abandoned babies across the country. We received calls from them a couple of times, but were never chosen.

Their mission is to help women who are considering abandoning their babies to find safe, legal alternatives. They say that 60% of the women who work with them end up parenting. Some stay with the resource families for a time.

It's a great program. If you're interested, they are at http://www.projectcuddle.org

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 10:04 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Adoption

• I also signed up as a resource family for them. The only thing I got from them was a donation slip at Christmastime. But it did make me feel good to sign up with them. They seem like such a noble cause.
    hollyanne31

Answer by hollyanne31 at 4:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• adopteeme I normally agree with a lot of your opinions but here I have to differ.Here the law was in response to babies being abandoned in very unsafe ways that often led to death.While it still amazes me a woman can go through an entire pregnancy and give birth and no one notices it does happen.This is not the ultimate solution but as an immediate step to try and stop unsafe abandonment.What angered me was when the law was first passed here if a woman did not do it in a perfect manner such as leaving the baby wrapped up in a box in the hospital cafeteria instead of the ER the news would show her pics from the video cameras.They would be looking for her to prosecute her for abandonment .Blew the whole point of the law.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 12:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Thank you... I think I will check into that!

I hadn't heard of them prior to this.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:15 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• We're signed up with them as a resource family, but there has never been any mention of the birthmother coming to stay with us. I suppose in the grand scheme of the world, that could happen, but I doubt it's required. We're also signed up with an agency so they are available to help a birthmother with counseling, to help her get the resources she needs, etc. I'd be hesitant to have a birthmother come stay with us because then what happens after the birth? She still has to find housing, if she decides to parent or not. I'm confident our agency would help her find transitional housing if that is what she needed.
    TwoBrownDogs

Answer by TwoBrownDogs at 8:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I wouldn't rely on that as my only hope to adopt, since I think the chances are slim. Some families allow a woman in a crisis pregnancy to stay with them before and after the birth, then she often decides to keep her child. Meanwhile, they have helped her to get through the crisis. We were willing to do that before we had kids, but now I don't feel good about letting anyone stay with us unless it's someone we know well. They are a great cause, and everything they do is free. I hope to be able to send them a donation someday when I am able.
    Iamgr8teful

Comment by Iamgr8teful (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Baby safe haven laws~ deny the right of identity to the legally abandoned infant. Another way and means to strip people of ALL genetic, medical and social history.

It's a quick fix/ feel good 'solution' to a pretty complex issue, infantcide.
    The laws in many states are poorly worded and constructed.
    How about the fact they deprive fathers of their legal right to due process to care for their children?
    How about how they would negate federal ICWA laws, where NA tribes are first in line to take a NA child
    How bout the wording in law in Nebraska (child instead of infant) and parents / grandparents started shipping in their troubled teens without fear of prosecution for breaking the law? Abandonment is unlawful and irresponsible parental behavior.

Why are we saying it's ok to shirk your responsibility and break the law to young people?
    Is it really good child welfare practice?
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 4:36 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Adopteeeme, actually the Project Cuddle program is different from what you are talking about, and the program exists to prevent babies from being abandoned. The identity of the mother is known, she often chooses the adoptive family (if she chooses to place), and it's more like an adoption. I think the program started before Safe Haven laws were in place in very many states.

Drfink, I like what you said. I used to research how many babies were abandoned across the country and send the info to Project Cuddle. Unfortunately, it does happen. More often than not the babies are dead by the time they are found.
    Iamgr8teful

Comment by Iamgr8teful (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• If they help facilitate adoptions, don't you think that is a conflict of interest, much like adoption agencies have? Do they charge fees to handle an adoption? I am totally in favor of helping moms to parent when possible, but, I have to wonder how much Project Cuddle encourages parenting as opposed to encouraging adoption. I know you said 60% of the mothers who go there end up parenting, but, I am somewhat skeptical.

Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 12:49 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• SR, they charge no fees whatsoever to anyone. They operate entirely on donations. You can go to the web address I gave above. They have pictures of some of the moms and babies they have helped. I cannot see any conflict of interest.
    Iamgr8teful

Comment by Iamgr8teful (original poster) at 1:14 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I'm not looking to adopt, but I think I'd love to be a resource family and particularly to help a young woman in crisis. Thanks for the link, we're in the process of buying a house, so I'm going to check out the criteria and see if we have anything to offer.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 4:19 AM on Aug. 21, 2010