Does anyone have a natural remedy for ringworm?

I have not confirmed it with a dr., but I think my daughter may have pickup up ringworm fungus from a pet. I bought a creme but am curious about natural cures.

minasmama6

Asked by minasmama6 at 10:06 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Health

• My stepdaughter had ringworm this spring. At the advice of our naturopath, we made a salve in a beeswax and olive oil base with calendula, black walnut, tea tree oil, garlic and lavendar. The calendula was more for soothing the itch than treating the fungus. It took a while to work so he also recommended a pau d' arco tincture a couple of times daily, and as soon as we started that, it cleared up within just a couple days.

Pretty much any over the counter antifungal athlete's foot cream will clear it up too and a lot cheaper, but we tend to use western and OTC meds as a last resort.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:28 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I have always used athlete's foot cream. figured that one out after the dr. gave us a Rx for a cream - it was the same ingredients as the OTC AF cream.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:07 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My DH says to scrub it raw and dab it with bleach! he said to do this for about a week and it will go away.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 10:07 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My mom use to put clear nail polish over it.
    Tab2

Answer by Tab2 at 10:09 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• google tells me other than the AF cream, try this:
    Take vinegar and salt,form a paste and leave it on about 5 min then wash off. repeat daily until gone - about a week

scrubbing your child raw sounds so mean! then to put bleach on it - that will burn. I don't recommend that idea on a child!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:11 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Thanks...those are all things I have here at the house that I could use. I don't know if she will tolerate scrubbing it though.
    minasmama6

Comment by minasmama6 (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• GOOGLE. There is a lot ofd info out there, many recommend bleach, many DO NOT! I always used vinegar along with the cream- as the above poster stated athletes foot creme will work, any Anti fungal creme will work- good luck- they are a pain!
    Tnamari

Answer by Tnamari at 10:17 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Garlic is a fungicide. I wouldn't scrub a child raw and use¬†bleach. Cream would be a better choice. I'm not sure how you could use garlic. Maybe a paste. ¬†

I had a cat that had ringworm bad. She was a beautiful cat and I felt so sorry for her. It didn't seem to bother her though. I did a lot of research at the time and there is conflicting recommendations. One vet said to shave all your pets! I ended up doing nothing. My family has a genetic immune deficiency disease and I was concerned that because we are all immunocompromised we would get it.

I slept with her and never got it. No one else in our 3 generation home got it including my toddler grandson (he also has the genetic disease). One other cat got it a little bit but both cats got over it on their own.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:17 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Thanks, that was another question I had. How to treat the pet for ringworm. What I read on the internet said to take it to the vet at least two times a week to be dipped in medicine for several weeks. Sounds like a lot of work, but I don't want to let the other kids be exposed to it either.
    minasmama6

Comment by minasmama6 (original poster) at 10:22 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My son got ringworm once. I took him to the Dr. Not only did he confirm that is what he had (which I think is very important), he prescribed an antifungal cream, which worked great.

It really is ok to use bleach on a child. My other son had a MRSA infection and the pediatrician recommended bleach baths as part of his treatment. I never did it, but it is ok. I wouldn't however, put my child through anything like that (especially scrubbing it raw, then using bleach) when there is a perfectly safe, painless cream that will do the job easily. I know many people like to use home remedies, but sometimes a prescription strength cream is best for them, developed for them, and dosed for them. Do really don't want to try a bunch of things that might cause her pain and only aggravate it more before seeking medical attention. Ringworm should always be treated.
    jjamom

Answer by jjamom at 1:56 PM on Aug. 18, 2010