grand kids

so my mother is a grandma of 13 and there is only one she really has anything to do with she pays for his glasses that are 200 a time if he wants to play a sport she pays for him to do so she will even let his mother borrow her car even though his mother is no relation to her other then she has her grandson well awhile back money was tight and my daughter needed new glasses so i asked my mom to help me out with paying for half of them she tels me know but the next day drops alot of money for hockey stuff for her grandson i have brought it up to her befor and she says why are all of you guys so jelouse of him he is alittle boy its not that any of us are its the fact she only dose for him i think she shuld keep it to her self so what do you guys think is it wrong to get mad or should i just let it go

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Just let it go. Maybe there is a reason you don't know about why she is helping them so much.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:21 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Well, feel free to get mad about it, but it's unlikely to take you where you want to go...

It comes as a surprise to most people that the ones who are playing favourites are actually afraid --terrified, in some cases-- of something. They're afraid 'it will come out' if they don't keep paying up, they're overwhelmed with guilt about a long-past mistake... or they feel compelled to stick with the precedent they feel they set, or can't deal with someone's manipulative emotional outbursts so they try to mollify instead of rectify.

So, if you want to be sane and balanced, probably worth your effort to go to considerable lengths to ignore and just never find out about what she's paying for in the other direction. Knowing about it clearly isn't helping...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:25 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• you can be upset, but it is her money to do with what she wants
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:27 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• ppl who play favorites like that should be avoided like the plague... they are messed up.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:35 AM on Aug. 18, 2010