MIL drama : would this make you furious ?

My daughters 4th birthday was a couple weeks ago... my husbands grandma got my daughter a present and left it at MIL's house ( we live in another town ) ... MIL has my husbands brothers daughter living with her and she is beyond control ( she is almost 10 years old and acts worse than my 2 year old... very bossy, very rude and doesnt listen to anything, and will literally push my kids over to take their toys) .....

Anyways when we went down to visit and husband asked about the gift and MIL was like " Oh well *niece* found it and opened it and liked so she is going to wear it and * my daughter* can have it when she is done with it" That is seriously what she said... and also keep in mind my daughter wears a size 4-5 ...and niece wears a size 8-9 ... and she can hardly move in the very cute outfit that is now ruined with stains.....maybe I wouldnt be so mad if this was the first time this has happened....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• OMG why are people like that? I think I would buy an outfit for that little one that took it, get it too small so it fits yours, wrap it up with other childs name and let your daughter open it. When you see them, say"hey I bought this for you but it was too small so I gave it to my daughter. whats good for the goose-- you know, maybe it will hit home.
    cmrbored

Answer by cmrbored at 10:28 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I'd be demanding it be replaced immediately! Thats a load of BS!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i would be very mad and tell her what i thought but that is just me
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 10:24 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would have been furious. And, probably would have called my husband's grandma while I was standing right in front of her and said, "We really appreciate your thoughtfullness, and the outfit was gorgeous! However, since you left it at MIL's house, niece got it, and completely ruined it before our child could wear it. So, if it is okay with you, next time can we just pick the gift up from your house?"
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:27 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• That reminds me of my wedding when my MIL's mother sent her with money for us and my wonderful MIL decided to keep it, I only found out because her stepmom told me about it. It's infuriating I know. Part of me says that your husband should have been more forceful, but then I realize that's easier said than done. In my case I decided to just move on because at that point there was nothing I could do about it, and I'd rather keep the peace with MIL since she will be in my life forever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• That would piss me off!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:28 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I agree, demand for it to be replaced and I would talk with the grandmother and ask her to please not leave my kids gifts there anymore and let her know what happened. It would piss me off so much that I would loose all respect for her.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• If this happens all the time you need to make it a point to pick up her present obvisouly they are not being considerate, and yes something should be done. She is your mother in law so your partner needs to put his foot down and have them replace it...

If he continues to let it happen, then the girl will think she can treat everyone that way, if they don't replace it make them feel the same way. When it is time for a gift, say oh my daughter's friend opened it by mistake so I didn't want to tell her it was yours. OPPPSSSS, sometimes we must act childish... :) not that I recommend it but the girl needs a taste of her own medicine and so does the mil.... :(
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You just need to call grandma and tell her what has happened and tell her it might be best that, in the future, she probably should not be leaving gifts at your mother-in-law's house. Tell her what a cute outfit it was and how you wish that you could have seen it on your daughter. Your getting angry over this is not going to help anybody. You have no power to change these people, but you can try to prevent it ever happening again. If all else fails, grandma can just mail her gifts to your daughter. You look for ways to solve the problem, and that doesn't happen by just getting angry. You have to take the action that is available to you.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:29 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would laugh and laugh and laugh... imagine, being railroaded by a 10yo!! What a riot! I think that's 100% worth the cost of one gift to a small child who isn't going to notice or remember its absence!

Can you IMAGINE living with this terror? Your mil has such a wonderful life --I'd gleefully leave her to it.

And laugh. Laugh and laugh and laugh! Man, you couldn't write a comedy about that, no one would believe anything so ridiculous!
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:30 AM on Aug. 18, 2010