how do i become an adoptive parent

please help me and my husband would like to have a child of our own but not going to happen right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Adoption

• I would contact social services or adoption agency. Good luck.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 9:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• There are many different types of adoption: foster-adopt, international adoption, domestic infant adoption. I would do my research online before moving forward. There is a great group of women here on cafemom in Adoption Beauty Marked that would love to offer info and support.
    joy2bamom

Answer by joy2bamom at 10:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Adoption Beauty Marked is a wonderful group to learn more about the different kinds of adoption and get lots of support. First you need to decide which route you are going. We adopt children who are waiting in foster care with their parental rights already terminated. We've adopted 8 and have 2 more on the way before Christmas (plus have one bio for a total of 11 kids woohoo).
    mommy9

Answer by mommy9 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Yup, I agree, lots of research and then decide what type of adoption you'd like to do. We adopted internationally. I have friends who have adopted internationally and domestically, so there are a lot of options! Have fun!
    amygrims

Answer by amygrims at 5:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• The Adoption Resource Book is a good place to start. There are also lots of adoption websites. From there, you can narrow down if you are interested in domestic infant, foster-adopt, or international. We did foster-adopt and I strogly advocate adopting from foster care! Like all types of adoption, it has it's risks and challenges. But it is a great way to build or add to your family! By the way, it is also the lowest cost option (virtually free). You might want to join some of the adoption groups on Cafe Moms and you will learn a lot.
    ForeverMom05

Answer by ForeverMom05 at 9:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I think a good place to start would be to realize that an adopted child would be a child of your own, and it's as amazing as it sounds. Get in contact with people who have adopted through various avenues and listen to what they have to say. That will help you choose the course that's right for you. You'll get your best information through adoptive parents rather than social workers and agencies. No one knows the road better than one who's travled it. Good luck. P.S.The Adoption Beauty Marked group would be an incredible resource for anyone considering adoption.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 5:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Childrens Home Society in Clayton, MO. I worked with this agency before, and I assure you they did a great job, and I am a birth mom who placed a baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Oct. 22, 2008