Do you give your daycare providor specific times to lay your child down for nap?

I baby sit and the mom changes the time she wants her kids to take naps. It all depends on what they have planned for the day. Today, the 16 month old is temper tantrumming( not a word, I know, but work with me). she only acts this way when tired. They have plans tonight, so I am under no circumstances supposed to lay her down before 1. Does this sound ridiculous to anyone else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, because my daycare provider was working with kids from about 6 different families and she can't put them all down for naps at different times. Her nap time was always 12:30 right after lunch. It just wouldn't have been feasible for her to rearrange all these other kids' schedules on a whim on my part.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:53 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I never made my children or grandchild lay down to take a nap. My kids fell asleep nursing. My granson falls asleep on my lap or in the car seat. I used to baby sit and people came to me because of my reputation for mothering skills. I got paid a lot. I did what was best for the child not what was best for the parent's plans.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would give the mom a schedule for when naps are at your house. If the mom cannot work with that then maybe she needs to find a different provider.

Make a schedule for the kids so that it never changes.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:46 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I am not a schedule person - I go by when my son is tired. And when I need a sitter I hire one to come to my house, because I don't like the "naps at 12:30" thing, that just doesn't work for me. If my son's sleep needs doesn't coincide with my plans, then oh well, I am making other plans, or I go until he is tired and then we leave.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 11:54 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• NO where my 2 yr old is now she has a schedule for all the kids and thats what my daughter goes by. the last sitter layed her down when she felt she was tired which is basically what I do which is usually between 11A-noon. I think its nuts to have rules like that. Then at 1 he may be so over tired hw won't sleep or fight going to sleep. I am not one that likes to see my kids kept up if they are tired like that.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You have to do what you know works. She wants the child well rested for tonight. If the baby wakes too earyl, them it's a nightmare hysteric evening because by then the child will be over tired.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:47 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Not at all. I would do things like that for my son. I can understand. Although, she didn't plan for him to be tired.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:43 AM on Aug. 18, 2010