"Your Baby Can Read"... worth the investment?

I'd prefer only people answering that have actually used the system, but any advise would be helpful. I've been debating about it the since my son was born (13 months ago) and the more I think about it the more I think it would be a great investment, as long as my husband and I both have the dedication to follow through with it and everything. And advise moms?

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 10:43 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IMO, the do not teach phonics, but, rather memorization which is not helpful in learning to read. Yes, they will teach him new words in his vocabulary and he may can read those specific words, but, as far as school and being ahead...it will not be an advantage.

Reading to him, pointing out things while playing, labeling things in your house...those will do far greater things for him than those videos.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:46 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• It's a waste of money.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 10:49 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Let babies be babies. I don't think it really makes any long term difference in a child's academic sucess to start drilling things into their heads so young.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:51 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I bought it but I guess I can't say that we stuck to the routine of it. We'll watch it once in a while. My son is 18 months and is starting to read a couple words now. I bought it on ebay for 50 bucks and figure it's worth that much since I'd spend that much on 5 kis shows anyways. Definitly better than letting him watch Spongebob.

jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 10:52 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• And as far as letting him be a baby, he LOVES those dvds. They are his favorite. I don't sit there and force him to watch them. For a toddler to sit and watch a whole dvd through is pretty good and he does with the baby can read ones!! LOL
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 10:58 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I don't like the way it teaches - it's memorization, not really "learning to read." I looked through my next door neighbors set, and I just wasn't impressed. My 2.5 yo knows more letters than her 3 yo does. He can't "read" but he has a good base to learn from. Her 3 yo has memorized a few words.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:02 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I haven't used it, but researched it myself just this week (for the 100th time, LOL) trying to justify spending $200 on DVD's and flash cards. I have flash cards. I got them at the $1 Tree. I have Baby Einstein videos & Baby TV on satellite. What is in this program that I don't already have use of, is what I wanted to know.

One article that I read says that they learn the SHAPE of the word & aren't actually reading the word. They are making associations with the picture and/or shape of the word, but NOT reading. This article discouraged the memorization of 50-100 words as opposed to sounding out the word by individual letters. My son is 3 y/o & didn't learn ABC's until 2-1/2. In less than a year, he's learned it frontwards & backwards, associates certain words with certain letters, A-Apple, B-Ball, etc. but in recent months says the SOUND of the letter, B, buh, ball, etc. I'm concerned with the long-term effects.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:07 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• We got it for free. While I dont think it really teaches my 14 month old daughter to read she really enjoys watching the videos and will sit and watch them. She likes the songs. I wouldnt pay for it but since it was free she watches it.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 11:32 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think people shouldn't expect miracles and ha it will make their child a genius. The ladies are probably right about it teaching memorization but that's not a bad thing. As long as you still teach them the alphabet etc. like you would either way. Try ebay though 200 bucks is crazy to pay for it!!
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• We bought it for less than 200 online. My twins watch it every day in the car (dual dvd player) on the way to the sitters. They LOVE it. They are 13 mos and have learned a few words from it. One of their first words was "baby" and they picked this up from the dvds. I don't think they are reading any words yet but who knows. They love to watch it so it is worth it to me.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2010