Best learning tools for preschooler?

My dd is 4 1/2 and is getting ready to be in Pre-K and was just wondering what some of you have found to be good learning tools for recognizing letters & numbers, writing, etc. I want to get a head start on this before she goes to kindergarten next year!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I taught my 3 yr old to write her name and I go over the alphabet with her. She now knows her letters her numbers and how to write and spell her first and last name. I did it with a chalk board.
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 10:55 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Put labels on everything at home or at least in her room. Read them to her and point out while playing. Make an alphabet to hang on her wall. I did with construction paper. For instance: I made a red apple with a green leaf on it and wrote Aa and Apple on it. Then, I made a beach ball that was a white circle with red and blue and yellow stripe, and wrote Bb Ball on it. and so on. I read to my son everyday and ran my finger under the words as I read to emphasize reading and moving left to right and down the paper. I used latter flashcards. When we would play, I would ask for a yellow block or the red circle and so on. I incorporated learning into everyday things and fun.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:57 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I make use of technology, for my DD really enjoys it. Starfall.com has been wonderful in helping her with letter and sound recognition. The Leapster 2 has been great with number recognition. The games are so repetitive that she is picking the skills up, and retaining the information. We also go over letter sounds throughout the day, and I have her count items around the house.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2010