Help with this kitten before I go stark raving mad...

My kitten is about 6 months old. EVERY morning between 3 and 3:30 am, she jumps into my bed and wakes me up. She then jumps down, wanders over to my daughter's bedroom door which is closed and stratches and meows at it. I yell at her and pretend to get out of bed. She runs under the bed and I lay down. 2 seconds later she back scratching at the door. She won't stop until I get up, go into the living room, turn the tv on and lay on the couch. She THEN jumps into the chair and goes back to sleep!

I can't take it anymore. I haven't slept in like a month. I'm pregnant, tired and sick... I just don't know what to do. If I have my daughter's bedroom door open at night, she climbs on everything, breaks things and wakes the WHOLE house up. I've even tried spraying her with water when she does it and that doesn't work either.

HELP!!!!

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Pets

• Sounds like you have a kitten who has trained you, rather than the other way 'round...

Kittens do not wake me in the night because I'm more determined to sleep than they are to wake me. I'm inclined to toss a kitten off a bed (onto a carpeted floor, close to the bed) 10, 15 even 100 times in a single night until they get the message that messin' with me when I'm sleeping is not okay.

Decide what you want the kitten to learn (leave us alone while we're sleeping, don't scratch at doors, etc., and then teach her. They don't come with 'how to live in a human house' pre-installed, they have to learn it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:54 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• that is a kitten for you. they want attention much like a baby. i remember throwing tons of shoes at mine. she would scratch at open doors. they grow out of it, and if it really needs remedied now, keep the kitty in the basement or another room at night that is away from the bedrooms.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:51 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You can put kittens in a carrier for the night. I fostered many kittens and that's what I did when they were little. Put something in the carrier to lay on. The kittens get used to it and love the carrier. That's nice because when you need to take them in the car they are fine in the carrier. At home if you have little kids you can put the carrier where the cat can get in but the child can't bother the cat and the cat has a safe place. I would never let anyone bother the cats when they where in their carriers (hiding out).  

We found out my grandson is allergic to cats and no more kittens:(

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:54 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• If you don't have a carrier check Craigs List. You should be able to find a nice one for $10.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:55 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• LindaClement... I've had her attack my feet while in bed, and I kicked the blanket so hard, she flew up in the air and smacked in the wall next to me. A second later, she was back on the bed doing it again. I've tried to put her in the basement but we have a small house and all she did was scratch and meow at the damn basement door for an hour before I got up, crying from frustration and let her out. I'm so scared of when I have a newborn in the house- is the kitten going to jump all over it, wake it up all night? Will I be so sleep deprived that I"ll toss it out the door into the street? I've had cats all my life and NEVER have had one that acts like this. My kids love it and would be devastated and I would be guilt ridden if we had to give it way (our previous cat was 14 and died from cancer 2 weeks before we got this one so they are very attached to her).

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 11:04 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Gailll... we do have one and my next step is to lock her inside and THEN put her in the basement in the farthest corner. Maybe THEN I won't be able to hear the meowing and she can't scratch at the door.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Aug. 18, 2010