how to get hubby to move his butt

my hubby is a real pain. he goes to work and thinks that is all he shold do. my home has been a work in progress for 6 or 7 years. bathroom, living room, hallway, living room too. He starts a project, quits cuz no money, then he will start another onfe. I have brand new sink in cellar just sitting there, I have to turn my shower on with the shut offs, my living room is wall board with mud on it. I would do it my self but it isnt to the point where I can do anything yet. He does a beatiful job when i can get him to do it. and suggestions?

cmrbored

Asked by cmrbored at 11:03 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I wonder if he's heard more criticism than encouragment and has just decided it doesn't matter whether he does anything or not.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:05 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• What is he doing instead? If he's playing video games or watching TV... Wait til he's comfortable then unplug it & say listen I'm not happy & we need to communicate & compromise. Or you can tell him you'll start looking for someone else to help (that'll be a blow to his ego).
    JacqulynClayton

Answer by JacqulynClayton at 11:05 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Stick a thumb tack under his butt. lol JK.

Sit down with him, make a list of what needs to be done and talk about it. Set dates on what should get done first, when you'll have the money to do it and how long it should take to do it.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 11:08 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You know I had the same issue with my husband and my backyard. =[ It was just so mess out there!!!! And my husband just didn't really care for it; he would just say I'm tired I work lol.. Your point I cook, Clean take care of are son, wash cloth, run errands.
    So I had to put my gloves on and pick up some panels that were on the floor and stack them in the storage. My husband saw me out there sweating my ass off and said can I help you " Yes you can start mowing =} And that was my success story =} Are backyard look great and guess what every week he cut it two thump up for him...........
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 11:15 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Withhold sex. No sex until progress has been made.

Otherwise, what I'd do is get a quote on an outsider finishing the job and hand that to your husband with the suggestion that he finish OR you get a loan and get your house finished by a contractor.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:18 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Let me know when you figure out the answer to this question. I have had a bathroom that has been in progress for almost 6 years along with other various projects. I wind up doing them and I am not very good at it. I just can't sit and look at it any more. It ticks me off.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I never understood why women make their husbands do all of the "construction" type projects! It's not hard to use a hammer, drill, paintbrush, lawn mower/weed whacker, etc! The only time I wait for my husband is when I have to move furniture up or downstairs! I figured out how to spackle and sand dings/holes in walls, I mow the lawn and weed the gardens/flower beds, and all while I was a SAHM and now that I'm working full-time. My husband and I have an unspoken understanding...if something needs to be done, just do it! If the project is too big and there's no time, then we hire someone.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• We have done it all in our time, including a full addition to 1 of our homes, all on our own. Now that we are older and have more disposable income, we just hire out- Sometimes I think some men (not mine) are more interested in the process of doing the project than in enjoying the completed work..

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:17 AM on Aug. 19, 2010