What could it be?

Last time I went to my hairdresser she said there was an excessive amount of hair falling out. No bald spots or anything, just A LOT of hair. Now, mind you, my son is now 13 months and I've already gone thru THAT balding spurt after having a baby, and now it seems as though it's picking back up again. I've also noticed that my nails aren't growing as strong, they seem to be flaking off once they get to a certain length and I have to cut them. Can the hair/nail thing be related? I'm already going to the doctor for it, and have a feeling they're just going to say it's just stress... but seriously, I'm only 22 people!! If this keeps up I'm going to be buying wigs by the time I'm 25!

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 11:05 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Health

• stress and or poor diet.

are you still taking a daily multi vitamin?
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:06 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Vitamin D and K also help the growth of hair and nail. Could it be that you are not getting enough? I know my hair is falling out right now, but i'm pregnant and expect it to happen.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 11:06 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• maybe you could start taking your prenatals again?
    or, eat tons of veggies and take a fish oil supplement.
    are you really stressed out?
    would yoga or a kick boxing class help?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:08 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I do think the nails and hair are related. My only idea was the I-just-had-a-baby hair loss, but you say you already went through that. I think it could also be stress, or vitamin deficiency, or, possibly but less likely, something more serious - so it's good you're planning on talking to a doctor about it. You will be able to rule out the scary stuff!

If you think the doctor is going to say it's stress, though... sounds like you need to find a way to experience less stress, whether it's causing this particular problem or not!

Good luck - on the stress and the hair!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:08 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You may have a deficiency of some kind that the nails and hair need to grow. I've taken supplements for hair and nails. Also, maybe changing the shampoo or adding a conditioner to your hair regiment might be what is necessary.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Well the worst thing u can do is assume. what i mean by that is if u keep assuming what the doctor is going to say, u will never get ur answer to ur unanswered questions. if i were you i would immediately go to the docotor. just to make sure.
    Tanisha709

Answer by Tanisha709 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• What kind of birth control are you using? I had the Mirena IUC and I had the same problem while I had it (as well as about 100 other problems). I agree that it could be stress and/or poor diet. I knew people in high school and middle school who experienced sever hair loss because of stress, so I really don't think that your age has much to do with it. Everyone has stress. I would try to see a doctor if you can, too.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2010