I'm pumping instead of nursing and don't have enough milk... how to get more?

Hi, I actually have a two fold problem...due to health of mine, I am pumping and giving baby bottles instead of nursing. Right now I am getting about 1/2 as much milk as needed for the baby (so I have to use Similac to make sure she is getting enough to eat). How do I increase my milk output? Also one breast produces almost 3 times as much as the other... I have been pumping the one that has less milk longer and more trying to stimulate, but it's not seeming to work. How can I even out the milk so that both are putting out enough instead of 1 oz. for every 3 from the other side???

THANKS!

petersgal

Asked by petersgal at 9:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i got a perscription for something called REGLAN. it is not intended for increasing milk flow but it does. whenever i felt like my milk supply was decreasing, i would take that. i was able to nurse for almost 8 months. if you have a pump that will pump both sides at once , then try that. ask your doctor about reglan.
    qtpatootiecth

Answer by qtpatootiecth at 10:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• In the all stores that has Natural pantry you can fined Fenudgreek and Nursing mother tea, it helped me to inctrease milk. Also eat oatmeal and drink a lot of water.
    odonis

Answer by odonis at 10:24 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• i had the same problem when i started nursing and my lactation consultant told me if your able camp out in your bedroom with your little one, plenty of water and something to eat and feed her whenever she wants to eat or spend the day pumping every hour or two. she told me it takes about 18 to 24 hours to increase your milk supply if you do it every hour or two hours. Hope this helps you out.
    mamma_lyn

Answer by mamma_lyn at 10:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• oatmeal helps lots of water and give the breast that is producing less a LOT More attention. Id say for every ten minutes you pump on the one pump thirty on the other, but as long as its producing its not that big of a deal. If you can have baby at least sit at the breast. The stimulation is different and increases milk production better than pumping. I commend you for working so hard to nurse. I was in a similar situation with the pumping and bottles but after 3 weeks I was exhausted and went to formula. My preemie didnt have a mature enough suck to get what he needed. Way to persevere
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• First, do you have a really good pump with flanges that fit well?
    Then start taking Fenugreek, you can get it at places like GNC. Take 3 pills 3 times/day.
    Drink tons of water
    Massage your breasts before pumping
    Double pump and pump for at least 3 mins after the milk stops flowing
    Make sure you are nice and relaxed
    Hand express more milk after you have pumped, I've heard you can get just as much after pumping... another 3-4 oz! Here is a link on how... http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• With fenugreek you can take up to three capsules three times a day(9 a day), and you can get a prescription for reglan and take it up to three times a day. You can buy mother's milk tea as well. Even with all this help though a pump just doesnt stimulate the same way as a baby's sucking does. You can try holding your baby close when you pump, close your eyes and imagine it's your baby sucking, not the pump.. I know it sounds wierd, but it's worth a try. Also, you could keep on pumping for like ten or fifteen minutes after the milk stops flowing, that just tells your body to make more milk, and sooner or later you will be able to pump as much as you need. The more you pump, the more you make. Pump as often and for as long as time allows. Your an amazing mother to go to such lengths for your baby! Not many mom's would do that :) good job and keep it up!!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:01 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• It's normal for one side to produce more. Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group and take a look at the sticky post on increasing supply. All the tricks are there.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:52 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• there's a group I use to belong to years ago,it is for mothers who nurse and etc.. it's called La Leche Leauge. Look for your local group, they are very helpful and know everything about milk production, problems and etc.
    Momofcinco

Answer by Momofcinco at 10:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2008