Peanut Allergy???

When did you give your child Peanut Butter for the first time? My son is 15 mos and i have yet to give him peanut butter cause im scared of an allergic reaction. no one in my family has an allergy to peanuts but i know that people can die from this. what if he has reaction? what if i cant get him to the hospital fast enough????? .... the thought scares the crap out of me.....so im just wondering how long does it take to see an allergic reaction? any other information is Welcome. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• anything that you give for the first time could cause a reaction. i fear tylenol and motrin the way you fear peanut butter!
    i gave my kids peanut butter between 10 and 13 months.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Each reaction is stronger, my son had peanut butter not often I mean rarely because he didn't want it but the last episode at 4 his eyes swald up and they called me he was at daycare. I rushed him to the hospital, by the time we got there. They gave him the mask and he was fine, but they said each episode gets worst, so next time he will need the epipen. Just becareful, I am sure each child is diffrent but look for blotches, swollen eyes and stuff like that...

No one in my family is allergic either, he is now six and thankfully I never had to use the epi pen(needle). He can tolerate the smell some kids can't he just can't digest it. Then after that I found out he is allergic to raw eggs, he can eat them cooked but can't touch them, we were baking a cake when I found that out...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:14 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• We didn't have peanut butter scares yet, so my kids had peanut butter while they were still nursing (and already used to the flavor and already 'contaminated' by the protein)...somewhere near a year.

It turns out, contrary to what the Experts thought, it's actually avoiding peanuts during pregnancy that causes allergies, not t'other way 'round. Once 'avoided' in that way, best to avoid it until his immune system matures (and he's had lots of time to play in dirt, with pets and other things that use his immune system properly instead of it getting bored and attacking his body) --at around 3 years of age.

Peanut allergies aren't related to other nut allergies, but other legume allergies: soy, lentils, peas and beans. If he's eating any of those fine, he is probably fine with peanuts.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:14 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Both of my kids had peanut butter before their first birthdays. Food allergies don't run in either my family or my husband's so I wasn't really worried about it. Keep Benadryl on hand in case of a reaction. My niece has a peanut allergy, and her reaction shows up pretty fast; she had a reaction Sunday a few hours after accidentally eating something fried in peanut oil.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:15 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My son is 3 1/2 and shows severe peanut allergy according to two blood tests. However, he was accidentally exposed three times that I know of, with a peanut actually in his mouth, and peanut butter up to his lips, and no reactions ever occurred. His allergist said he will give a food challenge test when my son is a little older. Some kids show false positives on blood work, and other kids experience allergic reactions when testing is negative. Go figure. You might want to expose him to peanut butter for the first time in the doctor's office on your next visit so they will have an Epi-pen on hand, just in case. Reactions can be immediate, or take up to several hours, or even a day.
    Kathy489

Answer by Kathy489 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 18, 2010