Have you ever sold crafts?

Has anyone ever sold crafts? What did/do you sell? Where/how did you sell them? Did you make good money? Do you think it's possible to as much money as a regular job?

I know lots of questions. Just contemplating trying to sell some stuff and want all the info I can get.

mama2my2girls

Asked by mama2my2girls at 11:15 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Handmade baskets. I taught and sold them for 20 years. I made enough to cover my expenses- supplies, taxes, gas, display equipment, and some over that. But an understanding of selling crafts is that you never get your time back as far as making money. Crafts take a lot more time to make than you make money. Another way of saying is that the per hour profit is very low. You can make more money with a regular job. I wanted something to put change in my pockets when I was a SAHM, so all of my spare time, including well into the night, went on making baskets. I sold mainly at crafts shows, some of which have steep fees to enter, also at crafts consignment shops, and standard take for them is they get 50% of the sale price.

Answer by Bmat at 11:20 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I sold original design, hand-crafted tie-dye for years. I never made a dime and eventually became demoralized because I would stand there at the craft show and watch as people happily forked over $15 after $15 for the exact same tongue stud at the stand next to mine, yet thought that paying the same $15 for original, one-of-a-kind artwear was "too pricey". I did make some money producing matching shirts for family reunions/events, and there were some people who bought baby items as gifts repeatedly.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:21 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I have painted wood crafts and sold them...mainly letters (like the ones you see in nurseries). I made quite a bit of money, but stopped trying to sell after awhile and haven't started again.

Right now...I make hair clippies...I started making them before the big ETSY hair clippy craze. I only sell them to friends and family though, Marketing is my problem.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:21 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I used to sell bead necklaces. I would make them for friends & myself forever & everyone told me i should sell them. One day, a friend of mine got a job at a cute little store that sold all kinds of hand made jewlery. Well, she showed the owner the necklace i made her & the owner contacted me & asked if i could make her a few to see how they sell. Well, they all sold within a few days. All of a sudden, she wanted a bunch of them. Well, the necklace prices were high. I ONLY use semiprecious stones (which are not cheap) and they would take me a good hour or two to make from start to finish. I just felt like it was not worth my time. I was putting so much effort into it & not making much money at all. It seemed like most of the money i made went right back to buying beads. So, i just went back to making them for friends & family. If only i had a good wholesale connection...hard to find in America with beads!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:23 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• "But an understanding of selling crafts is that you never get your time back as far as making money"

This is so true. It's very time consuming & you don't make too much money for the time you put into it. Or at least, thats what i felt.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:25 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Several years ago, I learned to make fabric covered photo albums. My Aunt took them to the Gem Show in Quartzside, Arizona and sold them all for me. Made for some nice extra spending money. Yes I believe a person can make a living selling their crafts. You have to be unique and stand out from the competition though.

Wishing you all the best!

P.S. What crafts are you thinking of selling???
    Patty_WAHM

Answer by Patty_WAHM at 12:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I did the handmade jewelery thing before it was all the craze. Then I became a knitting fiend before it became all the rage. To really do well selling crafts you have to have a unique product with low costs and a good profit margin. You are never paid for your time. I would knit these beautiful scarves and wraps and sell them starting at 8 dollars. Meanwhile others were selling the same things for 25. The difference was I never paid more than a dollar for a skien of yarn and the others were paying upwards of 8 dollars. I was able to undercut the prices because I was hoarding beautiful yarn all year. I made quite a bit of cash but I was knitting constantly. Once the economy took a hit, I noticed the attendance at shows was falling and people weren't spending. So, now I keep a collection of all my things at a local salon just for fun money.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 12:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Patty_WAHM: I'm not sure what to sell. Just toying with the idea right now. I like to sew but I'm still learning. I like to make jewelry and I want to learn to make hair bows for my daughter. I can't knit or crochet becasue my hands go numb. I also LOVE photography (but have a lot to learn about it). So I'm just really undecided right now.

I know I won't make TONS of money or anything but I figure if I can find something that sells that I like doing anyway then it wouldn't matter as much about not actually being paid for the time I put in because I enjoy it. I don't want to get rich but have some extra cash.
    mama2my2girls

Comment by mama2my2girls (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• mama2my2girls,
    I have been crocheting for a very long time, and I have sold many of my items, but I have never made enought money to quit my job. Most of the others have already stated it. You need to have veru little time and material invested in your items to make a profit. Selling bows in a great idea, the take very little time and money to make. They sell well around $5.00. If you sell online go to esty and open up a shop, it only cost twenty cents to post an item. Also go to, http://www.artfire.com/ and http://www.zibbet.com/CrochetFactor/sell and open up a shop there.

Best of luck.
    xpandyourmind

Answer by xpandyourmind at 4:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• One..you need an original product, jewelry making, hair bows etc.etc.is so over saturated if you want your product to sell, you need to somehow make it unique...put a spin on it that no one else does. if your going to list on etsy etc. do price checks, imake your pricing competitive. have a range. sell some items that are cheaper in price, some mid range and have a couple highly detailed high priced items. dont open up an online shop with 3 items, when you first tluanch your online store have a good selection ready to go. if you decide to make your own website and/or blog purchase your own domain name (it looks better) and use some affiliate links on it to help earn $.if u make wedding hair flowers/accessories,maybe an affiliate link for hair products that make hair shiny and healthy,affiliate inks should somehow relate to what you sell/do.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:17 AM on Aug. 19, 2010