Away from DD

I sent my daughter to FL to stay with my aunt for a little while until i get some things together up here. she is only suppose to be staying there until i get a real apartment up here (Im renting a room right now). But i feel like going to get her sooner than that. my aunt is trying to convince me to leave her down there but she doesnt know or understand how hard it is being away from your child. what should i do? i know by bringing her back here to live in a one room place could get me into alot of trouble and possibly get her thrown into a foster home. but i cant stand missing these times that i need to be there for. (my daughter is 18 months old and shes been in FL since april) i didnt see her walk, shes starting to talk and i dont want her to not know who i am. this is killing me plz help.

Anonymous_J

Asked by Anonymous_J at 11:26 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, if you're life is not in a place where you can responsibly care for her right now, I would tell you to leave her there and continue getting your life in order. I know you miss her, but if you go get her just to calm your own nerves, it could be a selfish move in the long run. If she is safer and better off where she is, trust me, you are doing the right thing.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:28 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I agree with m-avi.......do what is best for your daughter, not you.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 11:30 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• And not to mention, my aunt is trying to get PA for my DD out there and out me on child support... smh
    Anonymous_J

Comment by Anonymous_J (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You do what is best for the health and welfare of your daughter and not for you. To do what YOU want is selfish. Get your self together, get an apartment and then go for your daughter.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:53 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• dude. neglect is when you HAVE the money to do better for your kids and Chose not to spend it on them --- like for example - buying yourself new shoes instead of food for your kid to eat --- that being said - there is nothing wrong with what you can afford. i have a 4 bedroom house and it is so dumb because we all sleep in the same bed! sounds like your aunt is kind for taking the child but also sounds like she is thinking long term about the child. of course you can have a kid and a one room appt. look at NYC there has to be thousands of kids living in that situation. she is your dd and she needs YOU. unlike twinsplusmore i think that you are not selfish - that mothers intution is telling you to -- so go get your baby!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2010