HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH A CHILD THAT HAS A HARD TIME ADJUSTING BACK INTO THE SCHOOL SCHEDULE?

MY DAUGHTER IS EIGHT YAERS OLD AND COMES HOME FROM SCHOOL EVERYDAY ANGRY AND HAS A BAD ATTITUDE.

JACKIE.D.26

Asked by JACKIE.D.26 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in

• First of all you turn off your cap. lock
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think they all have a hard time readjusting. Don't you? Just take it one day at a time and have patience.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:29 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• What are you sending in her lunch/what is she eatting? I can imagine it takes a few days to get back into things, but to come home angry? Does she not like her teachers? getting picked on? make sure shes' not eatting alot of simple usless carbs/sugar, that will make her tired and grumpy.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 11:31 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• LOL! She'll be that way for awhile! My 5 year old granddaughter is the same way. In fact, last night, she told my daughter she was grumpy and not to even touch her. Poor thing. I feel so bad for them having to get up early. I know I would be grouchy too. I think just give her time to get used to it again. Let her know that it's okay to be grouchy and that if she'd like to take a little rest in her room when she gets home that's okay. Give her a snack at the door and make her feel relaxed when she gets home.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:39 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I was just like that.
    I hated Elementary School with a bitter passion.
    Everyday I would come home crying, angry and usually Hungry.
    It could be something you know nothing about.
    Bulling, an Abusive teacher, Bad School all together.
    My Mom and Dad Got me out of the School I was in.
    and Put me into something better.
    Tulsa Public Schools.
    I hated and wont send my kids to Jenks West.
    That is a fact.
    Thankfully You can do the same.
    Mom's and Dad's have power over their kids where they go to school.
    Make it happen and take control over your kid.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 11:56 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Did you try adj schedule before school starting?
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 2:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• This is why I keep my kids on their schedule other than special occasions. Its always an adjustment to go back to school all day, homework, etc then if she has been staying up you just made it even harder on yourself. My kids are 5 and 7 and doing great. My 5 yr old is in kinder so she has cranky days but its all new to her all day structures 5 days a week,
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 3:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• what time does she goes to sleep? shes probably tired have youtried talkin to her and see why she comes home all mad? maybe she is havign problems or doest like the teacher. but then again i could get better in a couple days once she gets used to going to school again try mking fun stuff for her to get to when she gets out. make her something she likes to eat for when she gets home. kmaybe give her a break before she has to do her homework. good luck
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 5:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Just give it time and make sure she know she can talk to you about anything.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:56 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Sometimes it just takes everything out of a child to behave, follow directions, be nice to the other kids, etc., etc.. By the time the child gets home, she just wants to blow up from all of the pressure. Not undue pressure, don't get me wrong, I mean just normal 2nd grade pressure. It's hard to take all of that information in, plus fit in socially and when she gets home, where she knows she is safe, she lets it out. She knows you will love her no matter what, so she saves her best (or rather worst) for you. I would talk to her. Ask her what she thinks would make her transition from school to home more pleasant for you both. This will make her feel in control and less like she needs to assert herself and get her way all the time like she is unable to do at school.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 11:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2010