babies and bug spray

Is any bug spray ok for my ten month old as long as there's no deet? I've looked everywhere for california baby and other kinds but I think since its almost the end of summer they are out of a lot. I did pick up one that is odorless and deet free. Should that be ok?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not sure.
    But when we went camping with our daughter last year, what I did was to spray the bug spray on my hands and then I patted it onto her clothes before I put them on her. I also had her in long thin pants and long thin shirt. But it has been kinda hot for that. I patted the spray onto her socks too.It seemed to work. But that was the best idea I had at last minute..so not sure if its totally safe or what.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:40 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• you can get little bug bands at walmart, they are non toxic and dont have that terrible smell, all you do is wear them like anklets or bracelets and it keeps the bugs off, we would just clip it to my daughters belt buckle, we used it as early as 5 months and she never got a bite
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 11:45 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• The bug bands work pretty well. I found some California Baby at Whole Foods last week and I know you can order it on line. My daughter is VERY sensitive to bites and has excema - we use their Summer Lotion with Citronella at bedtime and the Bug Spray for outside time. They both work pretty well.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 11:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• The thing is I can find much now that the season is coming close to the end :(
    samantha21385

Comment by samantha21385 (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 1:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I've found a product that is safe for babies, toddlers and is effective enough for adult use.

http://bugsprayforbabies.com/
    Carole33

Answer by Carole33 at 4:42 PM on May. 28, 2012