If you were a juvenile judge...what would be the punishment for this 17 year old?

17 year old has a life revolved around drugs and guns. He is a good kid but gets caught up in the life style.
One day, he's packing a gun and he's at a friends house. The two are looking at the gun and goofing around with it when it accidently goes off, shooting the other kid. Now, it doesnt kill the kid but it does injure him.
The 17 year old takes off and hides and the same day turns hisself in.
He realizes what happened was wrong. He's very upset and remorseful.
If YOU were a judge, how would you charge him and what would his punishment be?

**This is a theoretical question**

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 11:52 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I would make this 17 year old kid go into a hospital where there are very sick children and make him volunter every day for 6 months. Life is not something anyone needs to play with and spending time with these kids, that would give anything to have life to look foward to, might teach him that life isn't something that he can just play around with. The lessons that these children can teach is valuable.
    Debrocks

Answer by Debrocks at 10:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I'd try him as an adult. He should know better than to play with a gun like that at 17. He knew he did wrong or he wouldn't have hid.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:56 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think boot camp would be great for this kid and /or a trip to a prison to teach what will happen if he continues on this path.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would put him in boot camp for awhile. He can learn there and be removed from the environment.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:54 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• yes he woull be punished, and I would go hard on him, because if he learns his lesson now it my save him from getting into more trouble in the future, and give him a better life.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i would be hard on him. I would give him boot camp..and after that..house arrest for 1 yr only allowing him to go to school and work if he were to have a job...and community service at a childrens hospital so he could see children who have been hurt and maybe he will learn.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• boot camp,probation.make sure he learned his lesson
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• how about punishing the parents too for not teaching him gun safety?
    gonefishin

Answer by gonefishin at 12:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• He should be tried as an adult. Most likely he would be. I don't have any guns in my home and would refuse any. My children know guns are dangerous. I don't even allow my son to own TOY guns.
    perfectkitten

Answer by perfectkitten at 2:30 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I'd definately give him punishment, he shot him, he hid, so he did know what he did was wrong. He and others need to learn guns are not toys and can kill and mame, thus ruining alot of lives. The people owning the gun apparently need to learn a lesson as well, they need to take responsibility for what part they played in this. How many little kids do you hear 3 & 4 getting guns, then playing & killing, thinking it's a toy, esp around Philly. If these peope didn't leave the guns around the house, things like this might stop happening to young innocent children, who are just fooling around, then turing into a deadly game..
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2010