How do you prepare your daughterf or her first gynecological exam?

She is very shy and modest. How can I mae this easier for her?

Amy1022

Asked by Amy1022 at 11:52 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I'd make sure she knows what's going to happen why they need to do each part of the exam - and you could ask her if she wants you in there with her. If it's a male gyno they usually have a nurse in there anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem for you to be there if that's what she wants and will help make her comfortable. You could maybe find pictures of the instruments used for her to see. I believe that half of being scared about something is not knowing what's happening, so knowledge will help.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• IDK if it would help her, but I find I'm more comfortable with a female gyno. The male ones just make me think they are perverts for wanting to mess with that all day long LOL
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• The best I can say is to explain to her what will be happening and why before she goes.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would just explain to her what to expect. I would also make sure the doctor answering any and all questions beforehand, and talks her through the procedure so she knows what's going on. Assure her that it's something that every woman goes through, and that these doctors see this all day long, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:56 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• explain to her what they will do and why. She may be more comfotable if you aren't in the room, I would ask her if she wanted you in or out.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:57 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I let her decide which doc she wanted to do so she was more comfy. My daughter went with our family physician instead of my gyno. and both were women so that was impo to her too. I then walked her through what could happen and kind of how it felt so she would have an idea of what to expect. When we got there I let her decide if she wanted me there or not ...which she did. and I held her hand while it happened.

good luck...its def a rite of passage that no woman enjoys lol
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 12:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Just by communication. Discuss with her all the process so that she will feel comfortable during checkup and know what is going to be. Usually some teenagers feel strange and uncomfortable while consulting from male gynecologists, so think about it and prefer the female gynecologist if your daughter have similar problem.
    svictoria

Answer by svictoria at 12:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I went with my daughter and my OB/GYN said I was one of the few mothers that came in with her daughter. I didn't go in the exam room but I was there for her nonetheless.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• my daughter was about 15 when she had her first exam. i told her exactly what would happen and how it would feel. she wanted me to be in the room with her, which the nurses were surprised about, but i went.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2010