IUD?

Does an IUD start working right away? I had my baby 6 days ago and plan on getting an IUD at my 6 week check up and I just wanted to know does it work right away or do you have to wait 2 weeeks like with the pill? I dont want another baby and if we have another it wont be for 5-10 years. She is my 3rd so were really happy but are still young so I dont want to tie my tubes or anything crazy.

Lacrisha

Asked by Lacrisha at 11:53 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Health

• I suggest getting an IUD without hormones. I see women on cm that have lots of problems because of the hormones with bleeding all the time, irregular bleeding, and other side effects. The older IUDs don't have hormones and are still very effective. If you want hormones in your body you may as well take the pill and know when you are going to have bleeding. Something to think about.

Breastfeeding without using bottles or pacifiers is effective at at preventing the return of fertility in the early months. If you breastfeed then that will protect you along with your IUD. If you have an IUD without hormones and breastfeed you may not have a period for 6 mo - 2 mo or longer.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• It works right away, but doesn't have full effectiveness for about 10 days
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• It should start right away,
    Give it a change.
    Like a week maybe.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• typo - you may not have a period for 6 mo - 12 mo

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:05 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I am breastfeeding and it has been going great. I was on the pill after my 1st son and breastfeeding and I started my period 2 weeks after starting the pill and got pregnant on the pill after 15 months but lost the baby and got pregnant 3 months after that with my 2nd son. I only used BF as protection after my 2nd son and it worked for 9 months. I will look into the copper one it sounds better from what I found on webmd
    Lacrisha

Comment by Lacrisha (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I had the paraguard (no hormone) one. It is effective immediately but both times I was advised to wait 48 hours to have sex to avoid infection/irritating the cervix/etc. I was very happy with it and would have gotten another one if I hadn't been 100% sure I was done this time and had my tubes tied.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• The Paragard (copper one) is effective right away, but my midwife recommended using back up for about a month or so or at least checking to make sure it was there before having unprotected sex. It is most likely to be expelled by your body in the first couple months and you could potentially not notice that it was. I have now had mine for almost 3 years (sincec about 6 months PP with #2) and I LOVE it. I used to check in the shower every day, but now I only check for the strings after my period. My periods are much heavier, but much shorter and I did have some horrible cramping for about a week after insertion, but nothing that wasn't tolerable and well worth it for 10 years of birth control
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2010