What should I consider when choosing a pediatrician for my newborn?

I am due in October and I am trying to research pediatricians. What should I look for?

kricky422

Asked by kricky422 at 11:59 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Health

• How do you want to raise your child? Your doctor should be on board with your plans for the baby, not make their own plans.

do you want vaccines on time or delayed, do you want to breastfeed, Do they have an on-call for non-business hours, how personable are they?

I scheduled an interview with each of them before I had baby. If you want to nurse and they don't really support it, it's not good. Same with vaccines...if you want to split them up, are they willing to work with you. you need a doc that has an answering service for those late night panic moments for new moms.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• How many patients they have, how satisfied patients are with them, how well they work with children, their rules on emergency appointments and how their after hours emergency line works.
    You can google them and see if there are any complaints or reviews on them and also check with www.healthgrades.com.

Good luck and congrats!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Jademom07 has good suggestions. You need to find someone that feels right for you. If your pediatrician has different perspectives on everything than you do, you're going to butt heads all the time...and it can get very frustrating. You want to like and feel comfortable and trust the doctor you choose for your child.
    bellaitaliapicz

Answer by bellaitaliapicz at 12:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• That you feel comfortable with them and you are on the same page as far as how to care for your family's health. I had to interview several doctors before I found one that I was really happy with but it was well worth time invested.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I have a family practice doctor that sees and knows the whole family. Some practice in groups that have walk -in hours 7 days a week and stay open late. The best place to get bf info is a LLL Leader or lc. If you are going to ask your dr about bf then you need to check around and see how supportive they are. Did they or their wife breastfeed at least a year or two?

Family practice clinics connected with teaching hospitals can be a great choice. They send you to specialists quickly. If someone in the family is in the hospital they come and see you and the clinic doctors may be your doctors in the hospital. Some family practice doctors deliver babies.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• For us, the key was finding a doctor who was willing to support out lifestyle. We believe in a natural life style, no meds, no vaccines, no unnecessary Chemicals... For us, we went through 4 peds in the first 6 weeks because of their attitudes towards that belief... My big advice is decide what it important to you... And try to find a doctor that is at least respectful of those choices. You also want to make sure you are comfortable with them - I know that sounds like a DUH kind of thing, but if you aren't comfortable with them you aren't going to be as willing to be honest with them when it comes to things you may not really want to share...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You want one that has the same ideals as you. If you don't want to vax that is something to find out about up front. Do they believe in circumcision? Do you? Do you want a doctor who will treat every little thing just in case or one who will ride it out and see if it passes on its own?
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2010