If you have or had Gestational Diabetes, did you ever just go out and have a chocolate shake or something?

I don't plan on doing it often, but some days I just really feel like a chocolate shake, especially when I'm feeling nauseous. My levels are always within the normal target when testing but if they go way high if I eat or drink something that I normally wouldn't, I'll definitely stay away until this little guy is born!

Also, is Chinese food out of the question?

I go to my doctors tomorrow so I can ask them as well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I never had a chocolate shake, but did have a cookie now and then. Rarely, but i did. I was just very honest with my doctor when turning in my sugar levels at every appointment, If my glucose levels were high, i would write i had a cookie and that made them high or whatever. So she knew i was still controlling it well, i just indulged a bit. I was diagnosed with GD at 16 weeks and was able to control in by diet alone up until 32 weeks when my fasting sugars were getting hard to control (you cannot control fasting sugars with diet) so they put me on one glyburide pill a day right before bed to keep my fasting sugars down. If you have any questions about GD feel free to message me, id be glad to help!!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I did occasionally. Same as you, my levels were always in range. I just kept to the small size and only ate half. IDK about Chinese, it was the one food that make me naseous. But I could eat General Tso's
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Chinese food fine. Chocolate shake, are you crazy! You could have one of the chocolate fiber bars. I like Kellogg's FiberPlus Antioxidants Dark Chocolate Almond. I put them in the back of the fridge so they are very cold. The fiber and the nuts make it so your sugar doesn't go up like a milk shake would. You might try half a bar at first and see if that's ok. The fiber would be good for you.

If you search on google there should be websites with things moms with gestational diabetes should and shouldn't eat.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I always felt like crap if I had sugar while I had gestational diabetes. Chinese food too
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 12:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I had to spend the last few weeks before my baby was born in the hosptal. I was on a lower salt diet and there were all these commercials on tv for great looking food. The pizza place across the street would bring new parents a free pizza and the delivery guy would walk by my room. The nurses would order pizzas. I could smell pizza and it smelled so good. Torture. We had moved right before I got sick and then my husband left me so I didn't have any visitors. My ex had my two other kids but they were sick and couldn't come to visit. I didn't have anyone to sneak me food.  

I know it's hard but you should be fine once the baby is born and you can eat what you want.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• The cravings can be horrible. This is my third pregnancy and I haven't had it in my past two but I am pretty sure I have it this time. I have my test in two weeks. I was crying talking to my Mom about it last week and she said that she can remember buying a hot fudge sundea from McDonalds and crying the whole time she was eating it because she knew it wasn't good for the baby but the cravings wouldn't go away without it. I think that all women have something sweet, even if they aren't honest about it, but you have to do it in moderation. I've heard that frostys from wendys are within range, not the small though, the childs size.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 4:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2010