For those who don't give allowance and don't buy their kids big ticket items... Do you just think they don't ever deserve nice, expensive things?

I understand if you can't afford it but not just bc you want them to learn responsibility. You really can't get a job until 15.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes,he gets them for his birthday and Christmas,not any old time.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• For us it has nothing to do with responsibility. We have financially been devastated by the economy. But my teenagers think we are punishing them. They are 16 & 17, I told them to go try and find a job if they were so desperate for cellphone or a car and warned them that it won't be as easy to do with no one hiring in our immediate area.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 12:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My son does get allownace, but he doesn't get big things unless it's Christmas or he saves up to buy them him self.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 12:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Hmm...I'd like to watch this one! For us, our DS is only 2, but we try to put money in his bank account when we can (hopefully soon we can take money out of every check and into his account like we planned) but we don't buy him big ticket items unless it's Christmas or his birthday. He gets other toys and things throughout the year, but why spoil your kid? That's part of what makes Christmas and Birthday's so exciting for kids!!
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 12:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I just don't think kids need big expensive things. We do our best to live our lives in a way that does not feed into the consumer lifestyle that society is so taken with, and teach our kids that you can't buy happiness.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My kids are very happy w/out them. They enjoy presents on their birthdays, Christmas, and their Adoption Celebration Day.
    LuvOurFamily

Answer by LuvOurFamily at 12:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Usually DS will get one big ticket item for Christmas from his dad and I. He enjoys saving his allowance to spend during his big summer trip to Grandma's in NYC every year, which is his big ticket gift from my family every year, they pay for him to fly to NY from AR for the summer.
    This year, "Santa" started shopping early and told my sister not to get my son a DS when he was in NY. Yeah, that went over well, he came home with a DS and 31 games!! Needless to say, Santa will need to return the big gift and try to think of something else, lol.
    MidnightSun327

Answer by MidnightSun327 at 12:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Occassionally I think it's fine, and yes I do. Age appropropriate things of course. I wouldn't buy a 10 year old an iPhone because I don't think a 10 year old is responsible enough to own things that require such care. That's just my opinion.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I don't b/c grandma and grandpa always seem to beat me to the freakin store!
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My kids do not recieve an allowance, however they do get big ticket items for their birthdays and christmas. During the rest of the year they recieve little tokens usually something small I picked up at the dollar store. They do not have the stuff "other" kids have but they appreciate what they do have.
    ejkmommy

Answer by ejkmommy at 12:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010