Is it really that uncommon to get along with ur X if you have kids?

My Dh and his X are toxic and cant even be in the same room let alone have a conversation.. they have a 6 yr old.
Yet my X and I have a 2.6 yr old and we get along great! He comes in the house and hangs out for a while and we even go out to lunch once in a while or for coffee just to talk.. Plus my x's gf and I get along as well, since she is part of my kids life i find it important to atleast be civil..
Anyone else have a similar situation?

Mrs_Chris_Pukt

Asked by Mrs_Chris_Pukt at 12:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Me and my Ex get along better now than we did when we was married. All of my friends that have divorced are always having issues with their ex's.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 12:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• NOPE ... i'm like your DH and his x ... we HATE each other. But that's partly b/c his WIFE started drama with me when I was two months pregnant and told everyone I was pregnant from a black man and her husband wasn't the father. They were NOT married when I got pregnant, he was actually engaged to ME .. and then after two months prego, he decided he hated my guts. he changed his number when i was 5 months pregnant and SWORE I was harrassing him and I NEVER called him since I was about 3 months. UGHH!!!! IT was so much drama .... and still is. But now, he never calls and never tries to see the baby .....
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• NOLA im sooo sorry that happened to you he sounds like scumb your prob better off without him =/
    Mrs_Chris_Pukt

Comment by Mrs_Chris_Pukt (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• my sons dad and i get along great.. even with his new wife.. so much that people think we are weird.. We have hung out at family gatherings, and even been at friend bbq's and parties together.. It's all about my son Chnace.. not what happened in the past.. He sees mature adults getting along and being friends. I think it is awesome when people can get along for the sake of children after all they look up to us and we are their examples.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 12:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• everyone is different. Maybe what happened between your dh and his x is a lot more complicated that what happened between you and your x. some people are more mature too
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• yep my daughters dad and I get along great. And I grew up with his wife (he was not aware of this when he met her lol) so her and I get along good too. We don't go hang out but we chat and talk all the time though its all about Koresha.
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 12:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My ex blames my husband for our break up...ten years ago, forgets his weekend more times than not, and then lies to his family and tells them I'm keeping his daughter from them.

I didn't know this, until DD said that she hadn't seen a certain aunt for a while, so i looked her up on FB., asked to schedule a visit, and all hell broke loose. We don't get along much any more, but it's more like a civil unrest.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I know many people that get along with their exes and that have children in their relationships. Most of them have had to work at and chose to do so because of the children.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Nothing wrong with getting along with your ex. However, having lunches and coffee sounds a bit to cozy for me. Out of respect for my SO, I wouldn't partake on these little dates you have. And yes, their dates because he's your ex and theres always the possibility of reconnecting. Try and tell your SO, but we're only having coffee?... But hey, if it works for you...go ahead!
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 12:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Usually my Dh and I both get along with our ex's, although both relationships have their ups and downs just like any other relationship. I get along with his ex much better than he gets along with mine.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2010