selective twin reduction after IVF...saw this on facebook..from cafemom. what does everyone think?

A woman went through IUI, got pregnant with twins, and only wants one. She knew that multiples might result from her treatments and has chosen to selectively reduce her pregnancy. What do you think of selective pregnancy reduction?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 12:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Even though I am 100% pro-choice, this doesn't sit well with me. Now I have to sit and ponder why that is, lol.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i think its pretty disgusting.

and.. honestly i think its worse than just aborting one baby that you dont want from an uplanned pregnancy or whatever.

how could you even CHOOSE??

I THINK ITS SICK AND TWISTED.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 12:30 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I'm surprised she isn't keeping them both till they are born to make sure she chooses the best one!! LOL! That's just wrong, I know.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:30 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• That is a sad statement for this parent to be, I can only imagine what kind of parent this will make, it is wrong in so many levels.

Answer by older at 6:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• This one is ridiculous. I can see if you end up with 5,6,or 7 in there then MAYBE.....but not for twins!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I agree with butterfly. That is sad..
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 12:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think it is wrong especially since she is only having twins and her health is not at great risk. I personally could never do it regardless. I can't believe that somebody who payed all that money and went through IVF would chose to abort one of her children. She should give one of them up for adoption to somebody who wasn't as fortunate as she was to conceive.
    LuvOurFamily

Answer by LuvOurFamily at 12:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• If she can't afford more than one, she should have adopted. She knew the possibilities, yet, paid for the procedure and the reduction. She already had a biological child. Now, she has one other. And has killed the third. What happens if she decides she can afford another. Pay all that money again and risk it again..and what then, abort again if there are more than one?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• there are some cases when one twin is too weak to make it -- also witnessed a child in the NICU that was a twin who was severly damaged in the womb by the other twin (when the mom left the NICU nurses talked about how the boy twin really beat the crap out of the girl twin) she had to be transfered (the sick twin) to a different hospital because she was so badly off... so in SOME cases where there is a medical need i support whatever needs to be done... but just because you didnt want 2 babies.. idk! why cant she just let the child grow to term and then chose a great adoptive family if she is going to be pregnant anyways...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:57 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I think that she is a hypocrite! As bad as it is, it would serve her right to lose the other one in the process.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2010