Anyone have Hypothyroidism?

If you do, do you have a hard time losing weight? I have it and I have been the same weight for almost 3yrs and it seems no matter what I do the weight just stays put. I need to lose about 80lbs to be considered a healthy weight. Does anyone know anything I could try to help me lose weight or improve my thyroid function? Any ideas or experiences would be helpful. Thanks in advance.....

jnsdrf

Asked by jnsdrf at 12:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Health

• also - regarding your levels... i had mine checked for a couple years at my family doctor. the "normal" levels are not necessarily good levels. it wasn't until i got into an endo that i ended up in the right zone... the normal range is considered 0.5-5 (or maybe down to 3.5 now), but my endo says women feel best between 1-2 and that is the target that works for energy. my med levels keep me there, but i can't lose weight if i am stimulating my immune system by consuming dairy or if i compromise other endocrine areas with eating crap.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I'm also interested in these answers too..because I have hypothyroidism and I need to lose like 35lbs. It's tough to exercise when you feel like walking zombie half the time from being so tired. So i just stick to basic stuff here and there and don't plan so much in my day.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 12:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I have it and I got the radioactive iodine treatment done and I was about 180 then I got pregnant 4 months later and BLEW UP! lol I was 220! then I had my son and slowly started losing it by doing the slim fast meal but partly because I just had no time to eat lol
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I'm in the same boat and also need to lose about 60-80 pounds. I am on 200 mcg. of Levothyroxin and can't seem to lose weight no matter how hard I try. I have made a great change in my eating habits, but it doesn't even seem to have helped much.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 12:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I have it, have for 14 years now. I know what you mean about not being able to lose weight. I've NEVER been able to lose it easily. I'm on levothyroxin and have been since being diagnosed with it. I never did lose the weight that I gained before diagnosis. Hope you find an answer and something that works for you. Good Luck.
    mama2my2girls

Answer by mama2my2girls at 12:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 18. It is rare for a young person to have it, I am fully aware of your concerns. I am 5 foot 1 and usually weigh around 115-120. I ballooned to 150 pounds and 10 jean sizes. It was quite a journey to find my diagnosis, most doctors wouldn't consider thyroid with a person of my age group. I was put on levothroid and the pounds began to shed off of me. I was back to normal in about 3 months. Once they got me on the correct dosage I was no longer tired and I felt completely back to normal. If i don't take my pills I can tell a huge difference after about a week. Make sure your doctors have you on a high enough dosage. Good Luck!

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 12:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Yep, it was caused by my first pregnancy but since I had my daughter the weight is just coming right off. I need to get my levels rechecked BADLY because they haven't been checked since I first became pregnant.
    I'm waiting for my new health insurance to start though :(
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Wow, it's nice to see I'm not the only one. I was on 100mcg of Levothyroxine for about 3 months and in March they checked my levels and said my thyroid was back to normal and to get rechecked in 6 months, but my dr also stopped my medication at the same time. I actually lost 5 pounds around then but gained it back within a month. I have an appt next week to get rechecked and I know my thyroid is the reason I have hit a brick wall with the weight loss. Thanks for all the responses! Hopefully the medication can get it back in check. If not I will just have to keep searching. GL to everyone else :)
    jnsdrf

Comment by jnsdrf (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I do. Go see an endocrinologist. There are also natural thyroid supplements you can take (I recommend Nature's Sunshine) - but it may be hard to know what is the right dose for you. I have had problems since many years ago when I had depo and gained 50 lbs in 6 months... that crap messed me all up... However, if you can't get to a doc regularly, understand that your endocrine system is all interconnected - things that affect your processing of sugar (such as refined sugar, yeast, alcohol, synthetic sugar), allergies (especially food allergies - many are undetected), immune system (compromised by too many antibiotics), and hormones (including synthetic hormones in birth control), as well as foods with additives, steroids, and antiobiotics, etc. can all impact your thyroid function.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• The thing that worked best for me regarding weight loss was becoming aware of all the crap in my diet that was contributing to the problem. I used to drink milk every day and have a severe allergy - it's not as apparent when i consume every day, but i feel ever so much better when i avoid it. What worked for me: cut out dairy, limit sugar as much as possible (almost no refined sugar and never fake sugar), take food enzymes and probiotics (watch out for yogurt - although it has probiotics it also typically has tons of sugar or fake sugar; again i recommend nature's sunshine). try to eat as much whole, natural food as possible; eat meat without steroids, etc. - eat only grass-fed beef. if you must buy boxed stuff, get it in the natural section - costs more but worth it - read labels, though... sometimes you can find good stuff in the regular aisle and bad stuff in the natural. avoid high fructose corn syrup - it's in everything
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2010