HOW CAN I GET MY DAUGHTER TO GAIN MORE WEIGHT

SHE WEIGHS 25 IBS AND SHE JUST WNT GAIN WEIGHT SHE'S ON VITAMINS SNACKS ALL THE TIME ON WHOLE MILK EATS THREE MEALS A DAY NO SODA AND EATS JUNK FOOD OFF TO THE SIDE.

hamptonj

Asked by hamptonj at 10:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I used to have a friend thats daughter was extremely small too. Her ped told her to let her have some ice cream each day. She is still small today. I think she is just a petite thing!
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• let her drinl a lot of chocolet milk
    helpme1986

Answer by helpme1986 at 10:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• If she's growing well & following a steady upward curve, is on target developmentally and is happy & healthy, I don't see what the problem is? You don't say how old she is, but you don't want to encourage poor eating & snacking habits now, while she's young, because it is much harder to break those habits once she's grown up a bit. If there is a medical reason why she won't gain weight, such as FTT, then talk to her pediatrician, get referred to a pedi GI, &/or meet w/a pedi dietician or nutritionist to work out a sensible plan that will meet her nutritional needs.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• First, I'd check with your pediatrician. If he/she is concerned, then ask them first what to do about it. If you're not happy with their answer you can always check with a dietician. Most of the time you have to be referred to one, but your county health department will have one too. My daughter is a slow grower too. She eats like a horse! My ped told me to put extra butter on everything it would taste good on! Does she like ketchup? Condiments are good way to get extra calories. I would keep the junk food to a minimum. Try a slice of white bread with butter on it along with dinner. You want to up her calorie intake, not so much the fat intake. Juices are a good way to do that too! Just make sure that with all the snacks and stuff, she's still eating 3 meals.
    daisies7997

Answer by daisies7997 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2008