my 2 year old doesn't want to eat anything but peanut butter sandwiches

He isn't picky and will eat a few bites of his food but then he refuses and demands peanut butter sandwiches. I have tried and tried to get him to finish his food, but it ends up in full blown temper tantrums. He gets one peanut butter sandwich a day and I am not giving into his tantrums. Usually after a bit he will go off and play, but he doesn't finish his food and he always comes back in a few minutes demanding a peanut butter sandwich.
I have no idea what to do.

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 12:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 4 yo is a peanut butter jelly fanatic too. I don't care if that's what he eats for lunch every day. On a whole grain bread, it's a pretty healthy choice. But he has to eat minimum portions at dinner of what the rest of the family is eating.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• He gets one peanut butter sandwich a day and I am not giving into his tantrums.

You are giving into him if he is allowed to eat 1 a day. Take it away all together and make it a snack for days when he is good. If he realizes that he won't get it if he doesn't eat, he will start eating like he should.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Don't even give him the one a day. If he starts screaming. Walk away. If he is at the table of in a high chair, get him down and tell him to go play until he will eat and NO, he may not have a sandwich. He is 2, so he isn't going to eat much anyway. His stomach is the size of his fist. So, just put healthy food in front of him and keep offering, he will NOT starve. He will eat.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would give him his peanut butter sandwitch, but compromise. Tell him that if he wants a peanut butter sandwitch, he is going to have to eat some grapes/chicken/broccoli...whatever, BEFORE he gets his sandwich. My DD went through a stage where all she wanted to eat was those vegetarian chicken nuggets. I gave them to her, but i told her if she wanted to have it, that she MUST eat something else first. If she eats all of it, then she can have her veggie nuggets. It worked like a charm & it also helped her like some other foods besides veggie nugs. Sometimes when she ate her "BEFORE" food, she didn't want the nuggets anymore. This will pass. At least peanut butter so wicked healthy, you could live off of it practically. It's loaded with healthy fats for good brain developement. At least he's not asking for a happy meal...lol!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I know of more Kids that food issues when they get older because of this type thing. Let him eat the peanut butter sandwich, It's a great source of protein. Plus right now he can't control anything you do. What he eats or if he eats is one thing he can control. At least he is trying food. Right now he most likely doesn't like a lot food. Not too many two year olds do. As long as he is drinking juice and milk with it he'll be fine. relax and give him this one.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Well you have 2 choices,if he doesn't eat what you give him,make him leave the table hungry til the next meal,or let him have a PB sandwich. It could be worse,he could be demanding cookies instead!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• They will all go through a stage like that. I used to babysit a little boy who was 3 and only wanted mac'n'cheese ALL THE TIME!!! His mom wanted me to break that! He did it for about a month then stopped. I would occasionally throw in broccoli, green beans or chicken. He only had his privilege of macaroni at night, after he had his room cleaned and toys picked up and ate at least a few bites of vegetables. when he cried for something else, I just let him cry. if he was hungry enough, he ate what I made him. Good Luck!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would just keep doing what your doing. If you give in and give him the pb sandwhich everytime..he will come to expect it and it will only get harder for you as he gets older.
    One pb sandwhich a day is enough. If he is eating a few bites of his food, thats good. If he is hungry, he will eat more.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My daughter was the same way.. She is 18 now and still eats it she would take her lunch to school from grades 1-8 and her sandwich was peanut butter & jelly.. I let it ride even today she uses jif to go and slices an apple for dipping as a snack when she has plans to go out.. She is standing right next to me now slicing an apple lol.. We have plans for manis & pedi's later today.. She is laughing as she reads this and said to me Mom you should try it it is very good.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 12:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i have the same problem. my son doesn't want to eat dinner ever, he wants to eat a bagel, or pb sandwich, or something else of his choosing. i say "this is what's for dinner, you don't have to eat it, but you can't have anything else" then if he is hungry an hour later or whatever, i offer him his dinner again. then when the next meal/snack time comes around (he has a snack before bed) he can eat something else. he has big fits over this too.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2010