Is it bad to let my baby sleep in the car seat?

She just seems so comfortable and she falls asleep easier in it. Of course I don't leave the seatbelt straps on so she's not constrained when she's just sitting there. Is this bad?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 12:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No it's not bad, just like anything else, make sure that she gets tummy time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I've also done that, especially when my kids had colds and had a hard time sleeping while laying down. I'm guessing that you mean you leave her in the house in the carseat......not in the car, right?
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 12:39 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I know it is easier, but it can impede her breathing. I did with my first son and never had a problem, but after reading an article about it, we no longer do it.

http://www.parentdish.com/2009/09/05/infants-shouldnt-sleep-in-car-seats-study-says/

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Yes. The baby's head is heavy and can drop and cut off breathing. Babies die from this every year even in cars and it's not recommended. It is also not good for their developing organs to be in that position. They make approved car beds if your baby is premature, if your baby is in the car a lot, or if you want to do this. They aren't just for premature babies but that's how they are advertised.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• yea theirs nothing wrong with it, except it might get a lil annoying sleeping sitting up.
    skin172

Answer by skin172 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• No. And it actually HELPS with the breathing and doesn't impede it. It keeps the baby elevated and at an angle which makes it easier for their breathing passages to stay open. I allow my son to do it and when my girls were younger they did it. If they fall asleep there I'm not going to disturb them. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Here is another article...

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=711452

Warning... SAD!

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• no worse than the parents that let their babies sleep in the swings.

my pedi actually recommended it for ear infections & reflux with my kids.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i was going to post similar to sleepingbeautee. i'm sure it's extremely rare, but babies have died this way. and not strapping them in is worse because they could wiggle and slip into an even worse position. jmho :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Yes, I think it actually is bad. A while back in 2006, when my son was born they came out with a warning not to let infants sleep unattended for a long period of time in a car seat. Google it. It seems that when they are in it, they're backs are curved and when they fall asleep, their head can drop forward and cut off the air supply. Get a bouncy seat that is reclined and the head is tilted slightly back. Better safe then sorry.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010