Is three too young to get my DD into martial arts?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 12:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you can find a place that starts at 3 and the structure of the class is appropriate to a toddler level then sure! Most around here don't start until age 4.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I've taken martial arts for over 14yrs along with kickboxing. Yes, 3 is way too young! Give him a toy, he'll have more fun!
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I was just wondering becasue I started ballet at age 3 and I think my DD (my daughter) would benefit greatly from it. They teach discipline, and self-defense. Which she might need since the other day some bratty kid put their hands on her and pinched her.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think a lot of places start at 4, its good exersize especially for kids who are really hyper. I dont think they fight each other just yet, but they do learn stuff. The most important thing they will teach her is not to put her hands on someone unless they are really seriously hurting her. They'll teach her that stuff like getting pinched is not something to karate chop someone in the neck for lol self control =) Is good for kids I think, I might have my son start when he gets a little older, hes only 9 months
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 12:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I know my son's kung fu Sifu won't take a child younger than four, and even that is a bit young in his eyes.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Most places start them at age 4. You'd have to check the the ones in your area. However, if she is near 4 years and capable of paying attention, they might take her now.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 2:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I looked at a place for my son but he told me starting age was 4 but I could bring him in so he could see how he does. and if he just wants to play its a no go because he is not a babysitter. which I understand.
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 3:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2010