Witches

Why so many people say 'witches' like it is a very bad person?
Is it because bible says so and categorizes their practices as one of those false 'prophets'.
Doesn't anybody know that those people, mostly women used to or still are knowledgeable about natural resources and use them to heal and take care of other people? I mean, we very eagerly use 'natural' products for many ailments we have in the present, but the 'witch' word comes with such a bad stigma.
I am sure that there were mean individuals wanting to cause harm, but why such a practice like being close and worshipping nature makes people consider it bad?

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 12:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i think it's just a stigma hanging over from witch-hunting/witch-burning days that is related to religion, like you say.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Because most people associate witches with the Wizard of Oz or halloween. I know that's all cliche. And there are bad witches out there but I know there are good witches out there too. And yes...people...there are such things as witches. They may not fly away on a broom but they exist.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• a stigma AND a misunderstanding of what a witch is
    Stefanie83

• What people don't know they fear. They listen to all the "stories" about witches and decide to believe them instead of learning the truth.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 12:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Learning first before judging would be a good thing to do.
    BeaMoore

Comment by BeaMoore (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• The idea of a Witch being an evil old hag comes out of the middle ages and the churches drive for ultimate control... Even though the pope and many Catholic priests were trained in magickal arts up until the 1400's, every day people which did so were seen as being a kin to the devil because "God only wanted his appointed to have such powers" (as was said by one writer) and women and laymen simply weren't considered worthy of such understanding. It also comes out of the removal of medicinal power from women. Through the middle ages women were the ones preforming births, basic medicine, prescribing BC and even doing abortions - all of which was illegallized because they didn't have the proper training (since women were not permitted to go to school). In order to further restrict the actions of such women, they were labeled witches... Again, because they challenged the church and men of the day...

cont.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I had a problem using the word when I first made the decision to practice witchcraft. I would say I was Wiccan--which is a milder word tho not, strictly speaking, what I was. I have become more comfortable with the word "witch" over the 14 years I've been practicing and can now say--with a big smile--to those who ask, "Yes, I've been a witch for 14 years." We need to be unafraid. We need to take it back as our own. The word means "wise" and that's how we need to use it. I am a witch who does healing and helping spells. I try to give protection with gray magick when I need to, since I didn't become a witch to lie down and let people walk all over me. It is a strong word and I think we can return it to its rightful meaning if we make the effort. I am a witch.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Well, probably because beliefs like that often include a belief in "magic" and people could be afriad that someone who believes themselves to be "powerful" could try to use it to harm people. As long as they arent witch hunting it shouldnt bother you that they are weary or cautious. It isnt ignorance if they are just unsure of what you will do.

It is just like how I dont take things from Jehovahs Witnesses because I think it seems odd that they knock on my door at all hours. I dont feel right about it because I dont really get what they are trying to do. My opinion. My uncertainty.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• In the years that followed the middle ages these beliefs were only supported and propagated by the legal systems of the day - because men like power - and the church - again, because of a need for power. Thankfully, in more recent years people are coming to a point where they are beginning to understand the truth behind these beliefs and the truth behind real witches - as apposed to media & propagandized versions... This is why I, and others like me, find it so important to use this title openly and loudly... The more we use it, the more we are open with what and who we really are, the more understanding which comes out of it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• And yes witchcraft is named as evil in the Bible. It is a form of idoltry because you are saying that something that is not God is to be worshiped. So it is against our core beliefs, our 10 commandments! Naturally would have an issue with that just like we would have an issue with people breaking the other 9 commandments and cheating on thier wives, killing people, and stealing.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2010