are your children in the gifted and talanted program at school

my daughter teacher want to test her for the Gt program. i am curious about it.

savannahnhi

Asked by savannahnhi at 10:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No, but my son is in the 'advanced' class in his school....he tested highest last year in kinder for reading and second in math. His ped would like me to get his iq tested but I am not interested. I know lots of kids in the GT program though. You can always test her and then make a decision.

As long as my son is happy and learning and not bored then he will stay in his "advanced" class.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My daughter is & loves it. They do special projects & learn about diffferent things. It's an awesome program!
    megs1228

Answer by megs1228 at 10:31 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Yes my daughter is in gifted and talented, we were told the tests were hard and not to be disappointed if she didn't pass and she ended up passing with flying colors. She does all sorts of fun stuff using science and math.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Two of my kids were tested. The tests are very low pressure. There are different tests: some test for IQ, some test for HOW your child thinks- looking for creative thinking. You can ask the school what tests they will use and then Google the test by name to find out more.

One of my kids has high IQ, the other is a "divergent thinker". My friend's son is high IQ but had to repeat first grade because of ADHD and speech develpment problems. In our school the Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) class is one or two hours per week of "enrichment" out of the normal classroom. The curriculum encourages problem solving and critical thinking and links concepts together. The teacher also spent time talking about what it means to think differently than other people and encouraged the students (especially the girls) not to be ashamed of being smart.
    JustThinking

Answer by JustThinking at 11:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Not yet, but he will be when he starts school. I don't know if it is a formal gifted class, (that won't start until first grade) but the school will be sending my 4yo (he will be 5 by kindergarten) to 1st grade for math, and 2nd grade for reading. He was just tested by the reading specialist, and is at a first grade reading level. I am going to look into a district transfer when he reaches first grade.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 12:04 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My son is in 3rd grade and is in gifted reading. He hates all the essays he has to do. He thought it would be just reading and nothing else. He doesn't like to write anything more than he has to for any reason. Too Bad!
    mom-n-grandma-4

Answer by mom-n-grandma-4 at 3:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My girl was in the program when she was little. She would allways say it was a easy class but she like to go. Because it was not as boring as her class and she liked the teacher. It was fun for her the first year but she said after that they did the same thing again the next year and got bord.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My daughter is 5 and she is in the GT program at her school... she loves it! 3 times a week they take her out of class and she gets to do enrichment and learn about things that she probably would not learn in school otherwise. Right now she's learning about Chinese culture and has even learned to say a few phrases in Manderin --- she's so proud of herself when she comes home with this new knowledge --it's priceless!
    EmmysMom113

Answer by EmmysMom113 at 7:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Nope, my son is lucky he is not in Special Ed and my next one will be in Special Ed. I think it is good that your son do that. Just be sure he doesn't get stressed out over it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:08 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My oldest is in what our school calls the "challenge" program. It's relatively new (small private school where test scores tend to be higher than average to start) and they've been playing around w/it for the past few years. Many GT classes are different. Ask the school what the program entails - do they pull the kids out of class for enrichment? Is is a group tracked as GT and they are one class that just does things at a higher level? one of my friend's dd complained that all her GT class did was extra work. There is a good book on raising a gifted kid - something like: the parents guide to raising a gifted kid. Because Gifted often comes with learning disabilities or gifted in one area but HATES to write (my kid.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2008