How can I get my 2 yr. old to wake up from her naps happy?

My 2 yr. old wakes up from her naps whining and forcing herself to cry. It's been going on for about a month and I've tried ignoring it, coddling her, being firm and telling her to stop, and I tried telling her that I wouldn't get her outta her crib until she was quiet. Nothing has worked so far. She doesn't wake up this way in the a.m.
What else can I try? I want her to wake up happy. I've told her to just call for us and we'll get her.

BethelMum

Asked by BethelMum at 10:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• set in the room for just a few min then slowly rub her back she should wake up happy evry time
    helpme1986

Answer by helpme1986 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My daughter will wake up GRUMPY when she is still tired. If she wakes up in a bad mood I will lay down with her until she falls back to sleep. Sometimes she needs a drink of water.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 11:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Try a big girl bed. Maybe she's letting you know she's uncomfortable, and needs her freedom. It helped my daughter. Now she has more control, and can get up when she wants to.
    Also- do you wake her up? Maybe she's still tired-needs more sleep. Her body should wake her up.
    sweetp97024

Answer by sweetp97024 at 12:35 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I have 6 kids and each one of them has had a different nap experience/schedule. One of my sons never took naps, another didn't nap but had down time where he would lay in bed w/o toys, my daughter took naps occassionally. Now the last three have been on a nap schedule...by 1:30 at the latest, they are taking a nap. My 6 yr old doesn't, of course, b/c she's in school, but my 3 yr old and 1 yr old still take their afternoon naps. I let them wake up on their own, but I try to make sure they don't take a nap longer than 2 1/2 hours..longer than that seems to interrupt their bedtime at 8:30. They always wake up happy. I think it's just a personality thing. My hubby still wakes up crabby-hahaha.
    cuby

Answer by cuby at 8:43 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I have 5 kids, and I find that's just the way some of them were. 2 of them would always be cranky, whiny and grumpy for a time. It passed.
    preshies5

Answer by preshies5 at 9:13 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• How long are her naps. My kids wake up cranky when they don't get long naps. They essentially are still tired and not happy if they wake up earlier than they wanted. Possibly this could be what's causing your daughter to be cranky.
    kittynala

Answer by kittynala at 10:52 AM on Oct. 8, 2008