My 3.5 year old was just diagnosed with ADHD, and is being prescribed Dexedrine. Has anyone else out there had a child diagnosed this young? Have you tried Dexedrine? How did it go?

mommytoike

Asked by mommytoike at 12:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you are in doubt about the diagnosis, & before giving meds, #1 research the med; #2 give him some coffee- if he's NOT hyper after drinking it, then he may not have it; #3- if still having doubts- get a 2nd opinion. My son was started out on Ritalin at age 5, then switched to Stratara.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:56 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I met my stepson when he was 5 and the teachers were asking his Mom to put him on meds. She did. In my opinion he always had behavioral issues and was often difficult but, he was generally a good kid but, easily led. He was on Ridlin for quite a while and then Dexadrin. Sometimes I felt like when he came over for a visit he was doped up. His father said no but, I said yes. He's 22 now and his dad and I split up 10 months ago. The only issues I ever had with him was is laziness about helping his dad with the lawn.
    I do think the meds helped him but, as soon as he could, he got off them.
    LaughingGirl2

Answer by LaughingGirl2 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• With young children it is difficult to get an accurate diagnosis. I encourage you to get a second evaluation from a child psychologist. My son was diagnosed when he was 3 with ADHD. I didn't think that was the problem and several meds didn't work. At 11 I figured out the correct diagnosis of bipolar disorder. I had to get into a graduate school counseling psychology program and take classes myself to figure out his correct diagnosis. I found a wonderful child psychologist and got him on the right meds for bipolar disorder and he has done well (as long as he stays on his meds). He is now 22. School would have never worked for him and we homeschooled and he is taking college online classes.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My son has ADHD and is on medication. So I'm definitely not against it. I just feel that 3 is way too young to start. I would rethink this and start medication if needed in 1st grade.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I am not doubting the diagnosis at all, as I have ADHD also. My mother didn't want to medicate me for it. She thought I was just bored in school because I was too smart. I was a smart child, but I was rambunctious and unfocused because of the ADHD. I am just curious as to side effects anyone has noticed in a child that young. I have done my research and am familiar with the medication classes prescribed for treatment in young children. But, working in the medical field myself, I know that there are lots of side effects people experience that aren't in the pamphlets. Especially since he is so young, and there isn't a lot of data in his age group.
    mommytoike

Comment by mommytoike (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I don't know if you have done any research on his diet - I have a very hyper 3 1/2 year old and we started the Feingold Diet (there is a website that may help) I found that my son has issues with the artificial dyes. We have seen a change in his behavior and he is doing much better in his montessori school - more focused. Maybe worth at least a try before you have to medicate. Good Luck
    yenko

Answer by yenko at 9:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2010