If you jog or walk the same distance- are you getting the same benefit?

I keep reading that jogging/walking the same distance- gives your body the same benefits. It seems that jogging would work more muscles?

janessa27

Asked by janessa27 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Jogging burns more calories. You would have to walk longer/farther than you jogged to get the same benefits.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I actually find walking better - you can concentrate on the muscles more to get a better work out. That might just be me though
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• jogging works more muscles but walking could be better for u in the long run
    michelle34231

Answer by michelle34231 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think what benefits you more or better depends on you individually. I don't think exercise is the same for everyone. Running/jogging is NOT easy for me. It never has been. I can muddle through, but I always have a hard time with it...and it never really seems to get any easier for me. So for me, I find walking much more beneficial. I can walk far more than I am comfortable jogging or running, and I feel more energized when I walk because I'm not struggling just to make it happen. And remember that ANY exercise is more beneficial than none.
    bellaitaliapicz

Answer by bellaitaliapicz at 1:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• jogging... you get a better cardio workout..
    walking is what we do day to day.. so there is no "stress" in it for your body jogging gets the blood flowing & the heart pumping!
    But.... Jogging is so very hard for most of us.. As much as i know its good for me i wont do it.. i worry too much about my knees (for now- im overweight 216lbs).. and too much stuff jiggles lol!
    you can speed walk... better than walking.. but not so difficult as jogging.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• whats going to give you the most benefit is the one that you do consistantly. To burn 300 calories I have to run about 25-30 mins. To burn the same amount walking it takes almost twice as long.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 8:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Its all about the heart rate. If you take a leisurely 1 mile walk, you WON"T get the same benefits than a brisk walk that gets your heart rate up. BUT if you walk briskly and get your heart rate up high enough, then you would get a very similar calorie burn as running the same distance. A 150lb woman would burn roughly 100 calories per mile as long as her heart rate was up to at least 60-70% of her max heart rate regardless of whether she was walking or running. The thing is, you complete a mile faster while running than while walking therefore burning MORE calories per hour running. You're less likely to suffer from injuries walking though! Especially if you don't slowly train yourself to run.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 11:30 PM on Aug. 18, 2010