• In the Spotlight:

im tired of repeating myself......

my kids drive me crazy. how may times di i have to tell them the same thing over and over and over. E.I leave the dog alone before she bites you.( tho she wont) she gives them a love pinch thats wat i call. and if i spank them for that im wrong. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reina77

Asked by reina77 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• you're right, if you spank them you are wrong.

news flash- they are the kids, you are the adult. If the dog poses a danger, then you keep them separated because it's not up to the child to just act in a way that will keep them safe- keeping them safe is your job.

if you can't keep the dog and the kids separated, then you give the dog away.

as far as repeated your self, welcome to parenthood!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• you need to follow through with something else like time out for not listening or taking a toy... they are not taking you seriously because there is no consequence for not listening.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• If the dog is nipping at the children then that is on the dog, not the children. You need to teach the dog not to bite/nip. Before one day she bites for real even if it's unintentional.

So if you're tired of repeating yourself then stop. Try something else, change up your punishments, try something new. If what you do right now isn't working then you need to change what you're doing.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• LOL! I bet Anon has the best behaved kids ever, right? Don't you love it?

I'm in your boat. The kids are bored. I do follow through with the punishments. They are so damned bored. I don't know how old your kids are, but at some point kids are just going to have to learn to take responsibility for themselves, believe it or not anon. Even when they are still young. Then need guidence, hell, adults still need it. But kids still need to learn self control.
    If you are following through with your threats of, say, timeout, and that doesn't work, then try distractions. You gotta mix it up. School is almost here, for us. IDK about for you. You have to keep them busy, on their toes. Put them to work, cleaning! There's nothing wrong with that. Or weeding the garden, busy work. Just mix it up. And if spanking doesn't work, there is a reason for it. So don't do it anymore, it will make it worse. But that doesn't mean you are 'wrong'.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I'm the first anon- guess I wasn't clear-

I didn't mean that the kids didn't need to be corrected, of course they do!
    the original post just sounded to me like the mom was expecting the kids to just stop after being told, and if they got bit that it was the kids fault-
    nope! what I meant was that the mom is the adult and she needs to take control of the situation- but spanking is just a cop out in my opinion- and the same goes for the sick new practice of forcing hot sauce down kids throats too!
    It just sounds to be like mom needs to realize that she's got a potentially dangerous situation on her hands- not the dogs responsibility, not the kids responsibility, but her own as the adult.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i personally thought this advice was JUNK when it was given to me.... i didnt think it would work but i tried it and i hope you do too... instead of yelling at them or reacting in any way to them not listening... jump on them with praise for being a "first time listener" i know it seems so simple and trite.. but whoever came up with it understands the child's mind... my son is bound and determined to be a "zero time listener" like he wants to do what he should Before i have to ask... just because when he listens immediately i tell him --- you are such a great first time listener... give it a try -- you might be amazed (just so you know --- you have to Completely ignore the not listening - it warrents no attention in this method.) Try it --you'll like it!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Whatever. I have 3 kids, 13 (almost 14) who is special needs without a Dx yet, 12 and 8 yr olds both with ADHD. Both of the ADHD kids are on meds, though not the max dose. NONE of them are keen on listening lately. They are bored, and pushing my buttons. They are also either entering puberty, or about to. I have to repeat myself several times, and I do stick to my threats. This mom sounds like she has tried all she can think of, and the first thing you can think to say is : you're right, if you spank them you are wrong.
    She didn't give enough information, true, but you just jumped to the conclusion that she sucks. Sometimes it's just really difficult, and no matter what you try, it doesn't work. If you haven't reached that point, kudos. You didn't give her any advice. Telling her to give away the dog isn't advice.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• well anon1 i think that you were a little too harsh! If a child is mean to an animal to where that animal feel threatened, the child should be punished, and if the dog is mean for no reason, the dog should be punished ! Kids will listen! That is not just parenthood! That is bad parenting, if you (anon1) think that them doing that is "just kids" If yo want them to listen, as soon as they refuse, act on the situation, time out, or taking away a toy! I have not had a problem in a while! Good luck!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2010