Toddler holding on to poop. HELP PLEASE!

My 2 year old has decided to boycott number two to the point that she is getting very sick. She is causing what the ER nurses call impactions in her system. They are basically balls of poo that she has held in there until they get hard. She will be creaming in pain, needing to poop....we can see it trying to come out and she will clench her cheeks and make it go back in. She cant sleep at night because her stomach hurts!! We put suppositories in and she poops some of it out because it makes it so soft and stimulates it so she cant hold it. But I cant do that for more than 7 days!

The only problem is her holding it repeatedly. How can I MAKE her let the poop out? HELP!

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my bff's daughter used to do this... problem was solved with the book "everybody poops" - try it!
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Have you talked to her doctor about laxatives. That might make her go whether she wants to or not.
    It could also be that she has hemroids or something that makes it painful to poop, and that's why she's doing this.
    Talk with her doctor about things that can be done to help her.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Oh poor baby! I could not offer any more than what the doctors have already said. Perhaps adding to her diet foods that help work things through you like fiber. This is going way out on a limb but perhaps bringing her in the restroom to watch you go to show her it is nothing to be afraid of and is completely normal. I hope she finds some relief.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I had two supposedly great pediatricians that told me suppositories, mineral oil, fluids. No help!
    My advice is to find a specialist that will treat the reason she is holding it in and take her to that doctor.
    My daughter went on for years until one day she was with her dad and she fell from a wall and was taken to a pediatric hospital and they got her impaction moving with a series of treatments. Then, THEY REPORTED ME TO DCF!!! I can honestly say this was my biggest and longest battle for this child and the pediatricians didn't listen. Get on it! Research specialists!
    LaughingGirl2

Answer by LaughingGirl2 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• This can happen with potty training. Put diapers back on if you have been potty training. Cut out any milk she drinks and cut back or eliminate milk products. Milk causes constipation. Increase fiber in her diet. You might try Kellogg's fiber bars. Get her a neat drinking bottle for water and make sure she is drinking a lot. Juice might seem a good idea but it is high in calories and not that good at getting stools to move, fruit is better. Do a google search for diets for kids with this problem or ask to see a nutritionist. Doctors and nurses aren't trained in nutrition.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Part of the problem is that both the doctor and ER nurses told us foods that could help (and checked for infections, hemmeriods, and injuries) but she wont eat them. She is very picky and her diet is part of the problem. She will literally not eat for a day or more if we dont give her the foods she likes which is cereal, oatmeal, noodles, and milk. We have tried everything and are giving her mialax (dr's orders). I am just so frustrated. I just want to squeeze the poop out of her like a tube of toothpaste!!!!!!!
    amber710

Comment by amber710 (original poster) at 1:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I have to take medications that can cause constipation and I live in the desert. If I'm not careful I get constipated and get a small impaction that makes tears and causes blood. It really hurts. Childbirth pain hurts. That's why kids get scared. If they can lean to go when they first feel the need then it doesn't get so bad. Praise poops in diapers, "good job of feeling the need to go." I hate going when I am not at home. I have to get over that and go when I need to so I don't get the impactions. If she feels like she needs to go explain how to push. You might have her squat over a Bjorn type potty on the floor with you holding her under her arm pits something like a woman might do in childbirth. She may not know how to push and that may help gravity and her body get the job done.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Oatmeal is a good food. You can get oat bran that is even better and mix some in. Milk is bad. There are problems with soy. You might try kifer. It is like liquid yogurt that my kids loved. It has more probiotics than any yogurt. I drink it to help when I'm having digestive problems. Even people that are lactose intollerant can drink it. It should be great for her and comes in many flavors. You can also make smoothies with it. There is a kifer website if you go to google and do a search. Almond milk is another possiblity.

Try taking her to buffets for lunch and see if she will try foods. That's how I've gotten my special needs grandson to try a lot of foods. He likes kifer.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I spelled kefir wrong. Here is the website. I get it at a natural foods grocery but large grocery storys may have it in the dairy or health food section. It comes by the quart.

http://www.kefir.net/

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• The dr. told you to give maalox? One of the main side effects of maalox is constipation.

http://www.drugs.com/pdr/maalox.html

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:30 PM on Aug. 18, 2010