My 2 year old was just diagnosed with asthma that is triggered by a cold. It it too extreme to treat her with a daily inhaler instead of just treating it with an emergency inhaler?

What has worked for anyone else?

my2girlsrock247

Asked by my2girlsrock247 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Aasthma is a very dangerous problem if left untreated. Mild asthmatic are often treated only when they have problems. Other like myself, my son and my grandson all require daily meds to keep us out of the ER and hospital admits. My grandsons was so bad he's been intubated twice.
    You and the Dr will make the best decision for your child and their systoms. Each person with asthma is different.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• my husband has asthma and try useing a fan of a night but i dont tink its extreme to treat her evry day
    helpme1986

Answer by helpme1986 at 10:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Both my boys have asthma that is usually triggered when they are sick with colds. My oldest also has the added joy of being allergic to many things and therefore has to use his inhaler (Flovent)everyday, twice a day from September on to May.
    My youngest is on an as needed basis, (Salbutamol) and when he is sick, we use it 3-4 times per day, whenever he is having breathing problems. Best bet is to talk to your doc and find out what the required dosage is and go by that. You don't want to see them suffering to breathe, but you also don't want to overdo it and treat her when she doesn't need it.
    meetzycat

Answer by meetzycat at 12:05 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My daughter has this problem when she was younger we were on the machaine a few times a day. when the weather changes and when she gets a chest cold. I never used the small emergy ones. But found that the machaine worked great. Now that she is older we may have to use it once in a while. Find what triggers your little one and take it from there. Asthma is an allergy symp. Once you figure out what they are allerg. to you will have an easyer time treating and proventing it. But the best bet is talking with the dr. and taking it from there.
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 12:10 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• She was just diagnosed and your pediatrician didn't tell you how to treat this? That's the person I would be trusting about this serious issue instead of other moms who know nothing about your daughter. I have 3 kids- all of whom had asthma problems. All 3 were and are treated differently.
    I wouldn't dare to tell if it was or wasn't ok to treat her daily or as needed.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 12:41 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I agree with the last comment. Your Doctor should be the ONLY one to tell you what you should do. I have 3 boys, and all 3 have asthma, but it is only triggered when they have colds. All three of them used the breathing treatment machine, which I got for free thru medicaid. But all 3 used different medicines, and had different doses. Your Doctor should have given you a treatment plan. Maybe you should consider going to another Doctor. Treating her everyday when it is not needed could be harmful. Why take the chance on such a precious little one.
    angelosmama

Answer by angelosmama at 1:04 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• This article has some answers based on scientific research hosted by the National Library of Medicine. My son had asthma for the first 8 months of his life. We got rid of it - this article explains how...

Asthma Kills 11 People Every Day in the US
    link:
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1089149/asthma_kills_11_people_every_day_in.html
    Neminly

Answer by Neminly at 4:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2008