When You are trying to lose weight, and you're working out, do you eat before or after you exercise?

I exercise everyday. One person told me that you're supposed to eat before you exercise so that you can burn the calories and another person told me to exercise first, then eat. Which one is it Before or After?

HammaBleu

Asked by HammaBleu at 10:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• I would guess after. If you exercise after you eat aren't you just burning what you just ate? After your metabolism is up a little bit so I think it would be better. Like I said just a guess. I have been working out 3 xs a week for about 2 months now. I eat a bowl of oatmeal about 2 hours before(I work out at 8 am), then a fiber one bar after then lunch a few hours later. I have lost 13 pounds and I really haven't changed my diet too much. I just cut back on junk. On the weekends I eat what I want though.
    Anonymous

• If you are hungry before you exercise then a small piece of fruit would be a good idea, such as a banana or a handful of grapes. It's not necessarily when you eat, but more importantly, what you eat.

livewell4me

Answer by livewell4me at 6:57 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Both..Never a full meal before you work out..just a snack if your hungry, nothing too heavy..after you work out is when you'll bur the most calories(assuming your not eating while your working out lol) you should have a healthy meal about 1 hr after working out and a protein shake directly after you work out.... I've lost 20lbs , by exercising and eating my biggest mean AFTER the work out...(healthy of course.) good Luck!
    ally1021

Answer by ally1021 at 10:01 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Both. You need to eat before you exercise so that your body has fuel to burn. You need to eat after you exercise to renourish. Small amounts. Technically you should be eating 6 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones anyways.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Both. Never exercise on an empty stomach. It causes your blood sugar to plummet, messes with your metabolism and can leave you feeling weak, tired, and confused. Eat a 60:30:10 ratio of carbs, protein, fat 1-2 hours before working out (peanut butter on english muffins plus yogurt or fruit for example), and then don't eat for an hour after. Make sure to stay hydrated throughout, though.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2008