What kind of dog do you own and how is it with your kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 AM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Pets

• I have a 7 yr old black lab. Got him when my 11yo and 9yo were 2 and 4. He has always been wonderful with them and is great with my 11mo. Never growled or showed a mean side even once.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 12:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• An American Pit Bull and an American Bulldog. They are wonderful with them and we've never had any problems. The next dog we get will be another Pit Bull :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I have 2 mutts, and they are great with the kids!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:54 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I have had a slew of dogs in my life. Grew up with a shelitie and a choc lab. Both were AWESOME to grow up with. We also had a german shorthair pointer, too hyper for kids, jumps alot. We have had 3 chiuawas (i just cant spell that). I never recomend them with kids, they are so small and get hurt so easy. Ours were always nasty with neighbor kids and frineds. I have had a cocker spaniel for the last 13 years, and he has never been good with kids unless they have food he can steal from them. Also we have a shitzu that hates most kids and just runs from them. In my own pack I have a boxer/sheltie mix that is the best kid dog ever, but I have trained him to play things like hide and go seek so kids love him and he loves the attention. I also have a pit. She is a great dog, but came from a rough home. she loves babies and quiet children. Hope this helps, message me for more info if you would like!
    dogmama

Answer by dogmama at 12:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• There are no such thing as a bad dog... it is all in the training. However there are traits to look at in each breed.
    I prefer Labs because they have a great disposition.
    As puppies are incredibly hyper and by about 2 they begin to calm down. Our Chocolate Lab is 6 years old and has been my son's protector since he was in the womb. They will soon be best buddies.
    FeelingBlessed

Answer by FeelingBlessed at 12:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2008